Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Do You Believe In God, Ms. C?

This morning, I was showing my first grade group today some of the Ojo de Dios that my middle school kids have been making. As I wove yarn around a popsicle-stick cross, the quiet was broken by a soft-spoken voice as little Johnny (not his real name), whispered, "I believe in God, Ms. C. Do you?"
 
How do you answer to a six-year-old? How do you tell him, "I'm not really allowed to tell you my answer to that, because I could get in trouble. If you told your parents what I said, they could complain, and I could get in trouble." Do you ignore him? You could snap, "Raise your hand if you have a question, young man!" Do you answer him and hope that nothing comes of it?
 
What do you say, now that religion is such a taboo subject in our schools?
 
I am wary of answering such questions, because the truth is, I don't really know sometimes. I suppose I believe in some sort of higher power, but my Christianity has been in question since college. I don't identify myself as Christian, yet I'm reluctant to say that I'm agnostic. The truth is, I simply believe in something bigger than myself, something that represents love, forgiveness, tolerance, acceptance.
 
I'm uncomfortable praying with others, and prefer to keep my version of prayer (a very informal, one-on-one conversation with what I refer to as God) private and heartfelt. Yet even though it made me uncomfortable that my DV choirs used to pray together before concerts (while I just sort of bowed my head and hoped it was over quickly), I don't think that religion should be totally absent from our public schools.
 
Our nation was, of course, founded on seperation of church and state, and I whole-heartedly believe that no one's God should be the catalyst for political decision-making. I get angry when politicians and their supporters point to the Bible as a defense for denying gay marriage or abortion rights. I'm not gay, and I certainly can't see myself ever choosing abortion as an option for myself, but I cannot, in good conscience, force my lifestyle or views on others (I could go on, but that's at least two more blog entries). Especially not on the word of God as it was interpreted by man.
 
One of the greatest things about this nation--the one ideal that makes me so proud to be a citizen--is freedom of religion. It should be celebrated--agnostics and atheists should be able to feel comfortable saying, "No, I don't really believe...but I accept that you do." Christians should be able to feel saying, "I believe Christ died for my sins" without being labeled a zealot or that dreaded insult, "Oh, you're conservative."
 
How do you explain that to a six-year-old?
 
The truth is, you don't. You weakly reply, "We don't really talk about that stuff at school, and quickly move on to another activity before he can follow up with the inevitible, "Why?"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Meg. I'm actually presenting on atheism and nonspirituality in a counseling environment today at work. We talk so much about how having strong religious convictions affects people's decisions, actions, and feelings of guilt and shame. About how they can dictate how someone feels about something or what they believe is right and wrong and how important it is, as a therapist, to respect that.

But we never really talk about the opposite. Not believing in a God or having a set of "rules" that "guide" decisions and morals can affect someone just as much. It's so hard for most people to grasp the concept that someone can not believe in God and still be a good, decent person with morals. For some reason, God and morals have become linked in people's minds.

William Dunigan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
William Dunigan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meg said...

Mr. Dunigan,

Please do not use my blog as a pulpit.

Thank you.

RvNGrammy said...

It must be so difficult for teachers in that situation. A middle ground would be helpful, wouldn't it? Separation of church and state is good, proselytizing in school is why the courts made those rulings. Middle ground, where are you?

For Britni...I know many people who are atheist or agnostic. They still have a set of values that is reflected in how they interact with others and the earth. And I know some people who claim to be religious who are not very nice. Middle ground, where are you?