Monday, July 18, 2011

Dear Burnham

Originally posted in The Anxious Traveler on January 24, 2009.

In July 2004 I accepted a job at a high school in Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex. I had never heard of Burnham (who has?) and could find very little information about it except for one web page with a few pretty photos. Still, it was a chance to move to England and make a big dream come true, so I jumped at the chance and packed my bags. In August, I landed in London and took the hour train ride east to my new home. And I fell in love.



Burnham is a small town, a few miles in from the North Sea. It is situated on the River Crouch, and sailing is a big deal.







The architecture is all England, and a clock tower punctuates the High Street.







Town institutions include the Cabin Dairy Tea Rooms, the Fiveways Co-op, and the rail station.






St. Mary's is a medieval church. I could see it from my classroom windows, and once got to read from the pulpit, during the school Christmas program.






I spent a lot of time walking along the quay, enjoying the views of the Crouch, and the gleaming white paint of the White Harte hotel.






Burnham is beautiful, and very, very special. I can't wait to go back and see my friends there. Until then, I have many, many pictures to help me remember.









3 comments:

Miz Minka said...

OMG, how beautiful! And no crowds of people! I got relaxed just looking at these pictures. :) Thanks for sharing.

Meg said...

It really is a special place. On a Saturday morning, the High Street would be busy with people doing their errands or walking their dogs, but it was never crowded.

Tom said...

Great picture of the church with the mist, Burnham is still lovely but getting cold now.