Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Proud to Be a Cool American

I decided to skip blow-drying my hair this morning, and instead headed out into a crisp, cold fall morning to get to my polling place. I was dressed for the occasion:



My polling place was a private residence within two miles of my apartment. It was busy, but not crowded. I did not wait in line. Due to a small blunder on my part, I discovered a few weeks ago (just past the registration deadline, of course) that I was not registered in San Joaquin county, but fortunately, I was allowed to vote at the nearest polling place. I had to fill out a form, and I brought along proof that I live at this address--my Pacific Gas and Electric bill. (Next on the to-do list is to contact DMV and get a license with my new address!)

As I took my ballot to a booth, I had butterflies in my stomach. This is the fourth presidential election I've voted in, and the first time I've been so very excited. I bubbled in my ballot and sealed it into an envelope, collected my "I Voted" sticker and proudly stuck it on my sweater.

As I returned to my car, I really felt like a cool American for exercising my right to vote.

Next it was off to school, which was also a polling place:




My middle school students tried to badger me into telling them who I voted for. I gave them my best Mona Lisa smile, pointed to my button and replied, "Snoopy." They tried to trick me into telling them what Snoopy was code for. I just smiled again and said, "Snoopy."

Now I'm home, with BBC America's election coverage on behind me, and reading all of my favorite sites. History is being made today, and I'm so excited to be a part of it!

No comments: