Thursday, January 04, 2007

How Rich Are You?

Imagine my surprise to learn, that making a little over $39,000 a year (before my dear Uncle Sam gets his hands on my check, that is), I'm still in the top 3.46% of world incomes. Fascinating.

I am, apparently, the 207,826,087 richest person on the planet. In other words, only 207,826,087 people are richer than I.

Also, I'm apparently one of the savvier travellers. There are those who should not be allowed to leave their homes.

What Would You Do?

This hit the news headlines today, a story about a family near Seattle who have taken drastic measures to limit the growth and maturation of their severely disabled little girl. The link is to a blog entry by her parents, explaining their reasons for what they did.

My opinion? I think they did what was best--for this particular child. I do think, however, that doctors and ethics committees need to be careful before approving this sort of treatment for just any disabled child. I can't begin to imagine the everyday stresses and heartaches that come with raising a child who will never develop mentally. I hope I never have to walk in those shoes. Therefore, I refuse to judge these parents, except to offer them huge kudos for the love and devotion they are giving to their children.

Everyday Heroes

...They still exsist. Even in New York City.




And that's it for today. Lazy Girl needs to shower.

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: