Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday Night Whalloping

GO WOLVERINES!!!!

Tonight was Homecoming, so I donned my black and teal garb and went to the game. What a great time! I'd forgotten how much fun these high school games can be.

Four girls from one of my choirs sang the National Anthem--I was very proud of them; they worked hard to prepare and it's not an easy thing to sing this very difficult song in front of so many people.

My drumline class looked great in their marching band uniforms, and they were pleased to see me before the game, and a few times during. I wanted to show them som support. I genuinely like them; they're a great group of kids.

And the football! Holy cow! We have quite a team this year--undefeated and very, very fast. There are two guys who are so fast, no one can catch them. They dodge defenders and run like hell to the end zone--it's so exciting to watch. We trounced the other team, 41-21. The only reason the other team got those last two TDs is because our team got a little lazy in the last quarter--we were so far ahead. The team is now undefeated, but we're up against a difficult team next weekend.

There were a lot of teachers there. I sat in the teacher section, cheering like mad, eating a Polish hot dog (teachers get one free food item and drink), and showing my school spirit.

One thing I also noticed was the terrific sportsmanship. One of our boys went down on a play and took a few minutes to get up. While the coaches and medical guys ran out to assist him, all of the boys on our team knelt down on one knee in a show of support--and even half of the opposing team! I was touched by that. Everyone cheered when he got up. It was such a great show of team unity and healthy competition. The kid was okay; I saw him jogging a bit a few minutes later, but I think he sat the rest of the game out.

What a great evening...that's one thing I love about teaching high school--the sports, the school spirit, etc. It's good for the kids, and it's fun for us teachers to support them.

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: