Monday, August 07, 2006

Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth

I know it's taboo to discuss gift-giving when it pertains to gifts given to oneself, but I simply can't stay quiet on this...especially as I have a birthday on Saturday, and, to top it all off, I've been unpacking boxes upon boxes upon boxes of stuff in the last week.

Have you ever noticed at work every Christmas, you get all kinds of useless little knick-knacks and other crap? You take one look at it and think, "It's not my style, I'll never use it, I would not have bought it for myself..." and then you paste a smile on your face and give the giver a bright, "Thank you! I love it!"

It happens to me every year--especially working in a school, where we all seem to think that it's necessary to exchange cutesey little pieces of garbage every year. I don't know how many times I've ended up sticking things in the charity box because I simply have no need, use or space for these things. Harsh? Yes. But really, I can't keep it all!

Fortunately, my friends and family give me things they know I'll like. After all, you do know my hobbies, interests and style better than anyone. But I've got stuff coming out of my ears, threatening to take over my life just keeping it clean and organized.

And so, my friends, I am asking for a moratorium on gift-giving. I do not want birthday presents and Christmas presents. If you want to remember me on a special occasion, a card with a heart-felt message will do. Feel like you must spend money on me?

--Take me out for lunch or dinner. I'd much rather have dinner out (or even a simple meal you've cooked!) and an hour or two of chatting with you, than some little knick-knack I'll just have to dust later.

--Donate ten bucks to a charity I am passionate about (Susan G. Komen, Victory Junction Gang, or Humane Society are my favorites). Knowing that your gift to me will help others would be an honor.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately as I open box after box of stuff, wondering how and when I accumulated so much of it...and how in the world I'm going to display/store/take care of it all.

Take my Snoopy collection. Most of it is really my fault, as I've never been able to resist buying any Snoopy item I see. Because of this, I have more than I know what to do with. I hate keeping it packed up in boxes, but I simply do not have the room to display most of it--and besides, I want my apartment to be a little bit more "adult" in its decor.

It's gotten so bad that I didn't feel particularly bad when I found a few antique Snoopy glasses broken last week. My first thought was, "Ahh, I won't have to find a place for these!"

The good news is I am turning over a new leaf--I have passed up more Snoopy stuff in stores this last year or so than I ever have. I don't have to own every bit of Snoopy memorabilia out there--I'm learning to focus on items that are special and valuable to me. This means weeding out things I bought on a whim and keeping the truly unique items--my mug collection (which was Aaron's when we were children), the antique toys and banks, and the plushes I've accumulated from childhood on.

I got chatting with Heather months ago about this very topic, and we both agreed that the gift-giving in our lives is getting out of hand. We agreed to cut out the stress and insanity and exchange Christmas ornaments last Christmas. It was great--less expensive to ship, easy to store with our holiday stuff, and every time I pull out that little "shopper girl" ornament, I'll smile, think of all the fun I've had shopping with Heather, and lovingly hang it on my tree.

Because really, my friends, your friendship and your time will always mean much more to me than any material object you could ever find.

No comments: