Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Interviews, Adoptions and New Houses

Job Interview

I intervied (on the phone) this morning for a job in Manteca, CA. The first thing people always ask is, "how did it go?" I have no idea. : P I can never tell, and prefer not to dwell on it too much.

Still, I do think I am getting better at "selling myself" to interview panels. It takes practice to brag yourself up to potential employers.

The job itself is right up my alley: One class a day of high school choir and elementary/middle school band, choir, orchestra and classroom music. A little bit of everything, in a huge age range. However, I'm not sure I want to be in Manteca.

Guess I'll cross that bridge when (and if--no guarantee they'll hire me) I get to it.

Adoption

I've "adopted" a Marine, so to speak. A friend at a message board pointed out this wonderful site a couple of months ago, and I decided to sign up. Politics aside, I truly believe that the men and women of the United States Armed Forces need support while they are in the Middle East. I applied, spoke to a lady on the phone a couple of weeks ago, and finally, last night, got the information on my soldier. I can't (and won't) say much about him except that his name is David, he's my age, and he's going to get massive ammounts of mail from me. I sent off a card first thing this morning and went to Hallmark this afternoon to buy a few more.

AdoptaPlatoon encourages pen pals to write weekly, even though we may not hear back from our service member. Obviously, he's got a job to do, and not a lot of free time to write to some stranger. Though I'd love to hear from him and know a bit more about him, I got involved in this to give support, and perhaps brighten a soldier's day when mail call comes around.

Mom and I are already getting a care package put together (Ritz cracker sandwiches, Starburst, microwave popcorn--it's on the list of items you can send, so I'm assuming they have microwave access--and some other things). I figure he can use what he wants and share stuff he doesn't need with his buddies.

I'm really excited about this. According to Dad (who knows from first-hand experience), mail call is something all soldiers look forward to. And the morale can get a bit low for guys who don't get much mail.

New House

Yep, Mom and Dad's weekend trip to California was quite fruitful. They bought a house (I'm serious--put in the offer, got a counter, accepted, signed the papers) in Lincoln.

I'll stay with them for anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months, then I'm out on my own. I'm really going to have my own place again. I love Mom and Dad, but I am ready to have my own apartment again...it's been 5 years.

So that's the news here. Lots of excitement today!

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: