Saturday, March 11, 2006

Here We Go Again

My family...I swear we are gluttons for punishment, or drama, or something.

We're moving, folks.

Yes, you read that right. No need to have your eyes checked or anything. After one year in Washington, Mom and Dad have decided to sell the house and return to California. Not to Folsom--too crowded--but probably to the Roseville/Rocklin area. They don't like the gray skies, they don't like being so remote, they miss their friends, etc.

Notice I said "we" above. While Mom and Dad are gung-ho about moving back, I'm not quite as "yipee-ki-yay" about it. Honestly, the thought of a 110-degree July makes me want to throw up. And the air quality! I've just spent the last year-and-a-half living in places where the sky is actually blue. I don't mind the cold, or the rain, or the snow. I'm actually pretty okay with these things.

I can understand their reasons for moving. Hey, they tried it, it didn't work out. The point is, they tried it. And the truth is, if I had my choice, I'd be going back to England...but if that's going to happen, it will have to be in a year or two.

So it looks like I might end up in California in the immediate future. There seem to be more jobs opening up there, and until I'm working full-time, I'll need the kindness of my parents for a place to stay. If they are in Cali, so am I.

It's not all bad, though. I can't overlook the fact that I have a great network of TERRIFIC friends in California, and I just don't have a social life here in Washington. I live in a retirement community, for crying out loud!

Anyway. That's my news. It's a lot to chew on. And for the moment I want to stop thinking about it and keep blogging.

Read Anything Good Lately?

I just finished a book by Ellen Feldmen, called "Lucy." It's a fictionalized account of the affair between Franklin D. Roosevelt and his wife's social secretary, Lucy Mercer Rutherford. I really enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down.

Now I'm moving on to some re-reads. Books I haven't read in a while, that is. But my question for all of my book-loving friends is this: What have you read lately that has knocked your socks off? Anything I'd enjoy? Feel free to add a comment to this blog update or email me.

So Glad It's Not Just Me

Thanks to Heather for this one.

And for the record, I'm only a "boomerang" because of financial issues--not because I'm not ready to move out on my own! I was seriously lucky to get a job teaching one class a day when I moved to WA.

The good news is that my student loan is paid off, my car is paid off, and when (not if) I get my own place this year, I'll be able to afford it on my full-time teacher's salary. : )

And that's it for tonight.

Cheers.

No comments: