Sunday, December 05, 2004

Two weeks!

Yes, folks...two weeks from today, I will be on a plane, jetting across the Atlantic, heading home for the holidays.

Funny word, "home."

I'm actually starting to feel like this is home--this side of the Atlantic. Maybe it has something to do with looking around myself on Friday and realizing I've become a part of this school, this community. Maybe it was having Summer in England and realizing that I am proud to show a friend around Burnham and London and be able to say, "This is where I live."

Whatever it is, I've had a good week and I feel like I can move mountains. And I get the distinct impression that when I leave after the holidays, there will be sadness to leave my parents, but relief to get back to my space in the world.

But still, no decisions about the 2005-2006 school year until at least March! I owe myself that much.

So today is a quiet Sunday--the calm before the storm. The next two weeks will be incredibly hectic and busy. In a good way. I have at least three Christmas parties to go to: one for all staff, one for Sixth Form staff, one for the Sixth Form staff and kids. I'm going to a goodbye dinner this week for one of my co-teachers who is leaving, and I'm participating in the school carol service. I have 9 days of teaching to do, but next week will be useless. I'll probably show a video or just sing a few songs (we're allowed to do Christmas songs in school here) and easy worksheets. Thursday the 16th is the last day of school. Friday afternoon, I'll catch a train to London, then spend a couple of nights seeing the lights of lovely London at Christmastime before catching my trans-Atlantic flight (the 8th time I've done it in my lifetime!) to San Francisco.

The adventure continues...

No comments: