Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Wow...24 hours of developments

So many developments in my preparations yesterday. First and foremost, I got my schedule of classes. I'll be teaching levels 7-10 (about the equivelent of grades 6-9 in the US), but I haven't figured out if that's band or what because the guy that does schedules replied to my question with "What is band?"

Okaaay. So obviously not a musician.

Then, I went to Target with my parents and they bought me some luggage. I have luggage but I wanted bigger luggage. I have a lot of clothes (and shoes!!) to tote to England. God forbid I not have my sassy black heels for nights out on the town, or my beloved Mudd (butt-kickin') boots, or my Nikes for working out. And God forbid I leave home without 5 pairs of slacks, a bunch of skirts, or my collection of Snoopy socks (which are now stuffed in shoes to help retain the shape).

In an attempt to take the most possible clothing, I bought those air-tight vacuum bag things. I stuffed abou 17 sweaters into the largest one, vacuumed the air out (it's really fun, actually) and sealed it off. It's now a large brick of sweaters. The smaller bags don't have the valve for the vacuum cleaner. Those ones you roll, expelling the air through a little flap at one end that doesn't let air back in. I found it's really fun to sit on them. : )

So the packing has started. So has the weeding. Turns out that garage sale I posted about below is this coming weekend, which gave me a lot more time to cull out clothes that I've "shrunk" out of. It's amazing, the sweaters I wore most of last winter now look like tents. I'm not complaining, mind you. Little Miss Shopper has replaced those with more fitted sweaters that showcase the leaner arms and torso she now sports (watch out, England, here comes a leaner, cuter, flirtier Meg and she's ready to take on your men!!).

The last bit of development is that I've been getting more correspondense from the people at St. Peter's High School. I even got the number to contact the Deputy Head Teacher to ask about rooming arrangements. I guess she knows who has rooms, etc. I'll be calling her soon.

Oy vey! New development in the last 2 minutes! While I was typing the above, a lady in a Fed Ex uniform walked up to the door and she held my long-awaited, much-needed work permit!! Strains of the Hallelujah Chorus are drifting through my head. Off this little paper goes to the Consulate in L.A. Big relief!

Well...off I go then, to apply for my visa. : D

No comments: