Wednesday, July 03, 2024

The Land Down Under, Part 9: Circuses and Tall Ships

 On Saturday, I toted my umbrella with me all day. Of course, that meant I didn't need it, but I know if I had left it behind at the hotel, I'd have been soaked again.

My hoodie had dried in the night, but my jeans were still damp and my tennis shoes, too (I had packed other shoes, thankfully). 

My New Zealander friend Shirleen (met on the Baltic Cruise in 2019), had suggested I go to The Grounds, a bit out from downtown, so I took a train about 15 minutes and walked the mile there. But along the way, I found myself in front of an enormous antique mall, and I cannot resist an antique mall.

So a lovely hour or so was spent perusing all of the various vendors' booths, and even finding a treasure to purchase.




Yup, this now resides in the USofA.


The Grounds was as cute as Shirleen had promised, with its circus theme, it's lovely restaurant, and it's little shops. While waiting for a table to open up, I wandered around taking pictures. 


















I regret that I didn't try some of their lemonades.



When my table was ready, I was happy to sit for a bit. I ordered a salad that had couscous, corn, chickpeas, a lemongrass dressing, and all kinds of other stuff that sounded a bit out-there on the menu but ended up being absolutely delicious.



I didn't order dessert, but I stopped to take pictures of the gorgeous cakes in their display case.







Now that I'd had my fill of running away to the circus, I was ready to head back into Downtown Sydney. A quick train trip took me to Hyde Park, where I found myself at the Anzac Memorial.

The Anzac Memorial began as a memorial to Australian soldiers of World War I, but has expanded to include all wars. 








I spent a few minutes having a look around, then set off through Hyde Park in a light rain. Fortunately, the rain was light, I had my umbrella, and I was not wearing denim.


This is, hands-down, the fanciest drinking fountain I've ever encountered.





Good ol' Captain James "Killed By the Natives" Cook


Today I was able to take a picture of the exterior of St. Mary's because I was not getting soaked.


Smart Meg with her Mozart Umbrella





I stopped at a café at the Library of NSW to warm up and have an Anzac biscuit and a coffee.








Looking down at the Circular Quay

It was getting later in the afternoon by now, and I had evening plans. Down by The Rocks, a tall ship was waiting for me. I had originally planned to take one of their dinner cruises on the previous Sunday, but the "kerfluffle" meant that I arrived too late for that. So I rebooked for Saturday, and all was well.

The Rocks were all lit up and ready to celebrate this last night of Vivid. 







The dock where the ship was moored was also being used as a set-up for the Vivid drone light show. They let us in only when they were ready for us to board.





The "first mate" gave us a brief spiel, and then we boarded, to find seats and listen to a bit of history about the tall ships. This one did a reenactment of the sailing of the First Fleet from London to Sydney a few years ago.


Our captain








For a bit extra, you could climb the mast (this
is a crew member doing it). I'm good. 




We sailed out past the Opera House, before turning around and heading back towards the bridge. The "first mate" gave us entertaining facts and bits of history.

So incredibly beautiful

Later, we sailed under the bridge, and back towards Darling Harbour.



Another tall ship, blurry in the distance.


I tried to get some good shots as we sailed back under the bridge on our way back to Campbell's Cove. 



I admitted to our "first mate" that before I left for my Sydney trip, "I...thought it was just a bridge." He laughed at this, with delight. 

"And it's not, is it?"

"No. No, it is really not just a bridge. That think is impressive."

We chatted a moment about the Harbour Bridge, of which he knows a few things, and the Golden Gate Bridge, which I know a few things about. 




We arrived back at about 7:30, and the drone show was scheduled for 9:15. I found a spot on a bench and settled in to wait. While I waited, I saw a group of Hare Krishna people come through, and a few minutes later, a peaceful pro-Palestine protest group. Two mounted police sat nearby, as well as a few food police, but I got the feeling they were there more to ensure that the protestors were safe from attack, as they really were peaceful.

(Please note that my mention of all this is not intended to endorse one side or the other in the Israel-Hamas war. I am pro-LIFE, as in anti-war, anti-genocide, and pro-peace.) 

Quar

After about an hour, my bottom was hurting, and it was starting to sprinkle a bit. I had my umbrella and the rain wasn't a problem, but the other people waving their umbrellas in the vicinity of my head...they were.

I started weighing my options. Drone show? Really, really cool. On the other hand, I was tired and hungry. And irritated by umbrellas hitting me on the head.

So I got up, gave up my bench spot, and started walking. Campbell's Cove, The Rocks, and Circular Quay were all very crowded, and my crowd anxiety started kicking in. The rain started getting a tiny bit heavier.

I decided to head back to my hotel, feeling that my mental comfort is worth more to me than a drone show.

Caught a great view of the Sydney Tower


I arrived back at the Tank Stream to find the Batmobile
parked outside, attracting a lot of attention. 

As I readied for bed, I saw an announcement from Vivid on their Instagram that due to the rain, the drone show was cancelled. I had saved myself a lot of angst, and all was well.

Sunday was supposed to be fair weather, and I had plans.

No comments: