Friday, June 28, 2024

The Land Down Under, Part 5: It's a Zoo in Here

 My second day in Sydney, I started my morning at Sticky, a candy store (see previous post). After that, it was time to take the ferry to Taronga Zoo. 

Taronga Zoo is a conservation zoo, and a wonderful one, at that. I had bought a ticket before my trip for Monday afternoon, which I realized...on Monday afternoon. Oops. Fortunately, when I explained my predicament to the ticket desk on Tuesday afternoon, they honored my ticket, and I didn't have to pay a second time. Thank you, Taronga! (It never hurts to ask, right?!)

From Sticky, it was but a short walk to the ferries in the Circular Quay, and from there, an easy swipe of my Opal Card, a quick ride on the ferry, and then a short bus ride up the hill to the main entrance to the zoo.

Before catching the ferry, I was scoping out
places for dinner later, saw this, and made my
decision.

The main gate.

As I mentioned above, the zoo is wonderful. They have a large variety of unique Australian wildlife, as well as other species, and the habitats are engaging and safe for the animals. I wandered for a couple of hours, enjoying the animals.





The zoo also has great views.

My first priority was to see the capybaras. They were delightful, as expected. 



These ducks, according to the capybara keeper
who gave a short talk, live in the enclosure by
choice. They bickered loudly with each other 
while the keeper talked to us. 





The brown are the stick insects.

There was a wonderful forest walk-through with all kinds of birds and other animals. 




Another priority was the kangaroos, but not as much as those who know me might think...because I had better kangaroo plans set for Wednesday. Still, I delighted in watching this trio hop and scratch.







Roo!! 


There were wild birds all over the zoo, doing their thing. 



Of course, I had to stop by the koala exhibit. They're very good at hiding, and they sleep a lot, so I only saw one, and barely.




There is a koala in this picture. Look for brown
fur in all those leaves.




Taronga has a large group of chimpanzees. I watched a baby climbing and the others grooming. Delightful!











Of course, I had to visit the lions. I was sad to see the people letting kids pound on the glass, but the lions didn't seem too bothered by us mere humans.




I took a video, and was delighted when one lion decided to tell a kid sitting near me to stop staring at his phone.






I really needed to see a Quokka, so I walked on, finding my way over to where one resides, in a kid-friendly part of the zoo. It was worth it.

But first, a camel.





The quokka was having a very important meal.



Quokkas are CUTE. This one was enjoying its meal, munching on a piece of carrot when a very rude bird came along and stole it from its little hands! 

TEAM QUOKKA.









I finished my visit with a stop at the gift shop, where I bought a small stuffed koala and kangaroo for my classroom, as well as magnets for my classroom collection. I did not by the Zoo Poo book.

Next, I stopped at the cafe for a slice of carrot cake; I had not had lunch so I needed a wee snack 'til I could get back to that restaurant.


A wee beggar stopped by.

You're a very pretty birdie, but I don't feed 
the wildlife. Carrot cake would not be good
for you!

I made it back for dinner and a Tiramasu Cocktail, which ended up being too sweet for even me--with my massive sweet tooth. It was a bit like drinking a milkshake. Not terrible, just in-your-face sweet. The shepherd's pie, however, with salad and a bread roll, were perfect. I was very hungry by then.



I needed to be back to my hotel somewhat early; I had an early start to Day Three planned, with a flight to Alice Springs, and the most exciting part of my whole trip lined up for Wednesday evening. After the kerfluffle at the beginning of my trip, I was not willing to miss out on this plan.

No comments: