Monday, January 01, 2024

2024 Goals

 In the interest of improving myself and being that life-long learner I encourage my students to be, here are some goals for the new year, 2024.


Read 100 Books

This has been a goal every year for a while now, and I've never quite achieved it--the closest I've gotten is 95, and this year, I made it to 81. I know I can do it, because if I read more and put my phone in my face left, I'd far surpass 100 books. So this year is about finding balance between the allures of my phone (I'm addicted to the New York Times Crossword, Spelling Bee, Connections, and Sudoku) and books. I'm also working on knowing when to "say when" with a book. If I'm not digging it, it's okay to pass! I've hate-read too many books and I need to stop.

First book of the year goes to Home by Toni Morrison. And I've got a stack of four Agatha Christie books waiting for me, too. 

Run. That's it. Just RUN.

I am currently on Week 2 of Couch to 5K. I started Week 1, then had a week of Winter Celebration craziness at work, and then came home for my Winter Break to do Week 1 again. So I'm technically in my third week of "being back" to running, and it's going pretty well. Now I just need to keep on doing it. I'm signed up for the Shamrock'n 5K in March, which gives me plenty of time to get ready.


Play My Clarinet

Sadly, I kinda burned out on clarinet in college. I still dabble from time to time, but it's been a while now. I have a gorgeous Buffet R13 sitting here in my home, ignored. I want to change that this year, and work on getting my embouchure and technique back. In time, maybe I'll find a community band to join, but for now, I just want to find my love for the instrument again, because it truly is beautiful. 

Of course I will also continue playing my piano, practicing some of the pieces I've been working on for a year or two, and adding new ones. 



No comments: