Monday, July 22, 2019

Baltic Cruise 2019, Part 7: An Evening of Russian Folk Music

When Dad and I booked our excursions, I was particularly interested in one that involved going to an evening performance of Russian folk music and dance. Dad wasn't as excited by it, so I later bought the excursion for just myself. I'm glad I did, as it was a very entertaining evening.

I changed into a dress for the occasion, and even wore lipstick.


The performance included a small group of musicians in the back, playing accordion, tambourine and other small percussion instruments, and, my favorite, a gigantic balalaika. There several dancers, including men doing Cossack moves and women doing that famous "gliding" maneuver of Russian dancing (as well as more athletic moves).

The music was robust and cheerful. Sometimes a group of three women sang in some pretty difficult harmonies, and sometimes there was a solo baritone.

Not wanting to be obnoxious, but wanting a record of what I saw, I took a few pictures with my phone, no flash. So they're not great, but you get the idea--the costumes are colorful, the dances difficult.



The dancing is so athletic--the men leap and jump, flip themselves, and do the famous low squat move with kicks. It was wonderful.



Now that is a BALALAIKA. They come in many sizes,
this one being XXXXL or something.





By 10:00, we were getting back on the bus. I took a quick picture to show that it was still light outside. I never got used to this concept.


Back on the boat, I grabbed a very quick snack in the cafeteria, then collapsed into bed. I had an early start the next morning for Day 2 of St. Petersburg. 

No comments: