Saturday, June 30, 2018

Cooper Loops

On Wednesday night, Dad and I made the long drive home from the hospital in my car. We talked the whole way, sometimes sniffling and crying, and sometimes laughing. Dad pointed out how lucky we are to have so many wonderful memories.

Somehow, Cooper Loops came up.

A Cooper Loop is a very basic, very silly maneuver. It started when I was a child in Folsom. Our cul-de-sac, and our home's placement on it, were perfect for driving a loop around, and then sort of swinging into our long driveway. Dad started it, making the rest of us laugh hysterically.

Over the years, Aaron grew more embarrassed by it, but Mom, Dad, and I thought it hysterical.

We left that house in 1998, and Cooper Loops became quite rare.

But on Wednesday, as I pulled into Dad's cul-de-sac, I said, "I'm going to do something..."

"A Cooper Loop?"

"Yeah."

This particular cul-de-sac doesn't give quite so perfect loops as that long-ago one in Folsom did...but we managed.

And we smiled.

...

Yesterday, I spent much of the day at Mom and Dad's (it's still hers, too, you know) and had my car parked on the street. As I left, Dad said, "Do a Cooper Loop!!"

So I did, kissing my fingers mid-loop and raising my hand to the sky. I laughed as I passed Dad on the driveway, giving me a thumbs-up sign.

I laughed, and I cried a little, and then my tears dried up and I drove home.

No comments: