Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas, and Other C Words

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, and we've had years of wonderful family Christmases. Though in more recent years, it's just been Mom, Dad and I here, we always have a lovely time. After the hectic weeks of performances and preparation, of hyperactive students and crowded grocery stores, the quiet lazy Christmas is welcome.

This year, as usual, it's just the three of us (and three cats). I came over a little before noon, with an overnight bag, my favorite pillow, and two cats in tow. Mom planned a nice dinner--a lovely roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, and ambrosia.

There are other C Words in our holiday, of course. Mom has chemo this week for her cancer--only four more treatments, as things stand right now!--so that is definitely something we are always aware of. It doesn't take over our lives, though. We're just so happy to have a peaceful Christmas together, enjoying good food and the antics of Da Boyz as they explore every inch of the house, and Bella, as she pouts under the bed at this home invasion.

I did the bulk of today's food prep. Mom tires so easily, and apologizes every once in a while for needing to rest. I remind her that I really don't mind, and happily take on the work so we can have a nice dinner. I think of all of the things Mom and Dad have happily, selflessly done for me--paying my airfare so I could teach in England, letting me move in when I was unemployed, all the times they helped me keep my head above water, and supported me in my career choice. Truly, making Christmas dinner (and Mom did the meat, for the record) is not a hardship.

Later this week, Mom will have another PET scan so the doctors can see what is going on with the cancer cells. We're all a little anxious, and very, very hopeful. I wouldn't say it hangs over our heads--truly, we manage to just be in the moment around here--but we don't hide from it, either. It's reality. We still have our fightin' pants on, and part of my present to Mom this year (in addition to a show she loves on DVD and a book) was yet another pair of fun socks to wear when she goes to the infusion center.

I know that Mom wishes she had more energy, and didn't feel so tired from the effects of the chemo...but I also know that all of us are simply grateful this season to be together, to have a lovely Christmas together. The other C Words don't matter so much.




No comments: