Monday, November 18, 2013

Days of Thankfulness, Day 18

In July, a small bump started developing on my thumb. I thought it was odd, but didn't really worry too much about it. Life was busy and full of developments--the new job, especially. Even when the bump turned into a bleeding...thing...I didn't really worry, so much as sigh at the inconvenience every time I put a new bandage on it, or every time my thoughtless picking at it (yes, gross) made it bleed again.

By the end of August, it was pretty obvious that whatever it was, the growth on my thumb was something that needed to be addressed. I can't play piano very well with a large wad of cotton on my thumb (my choir students will happily attest to this) and the massive bleeding every time I changed the bandage had me getting a little worried.

Still, going to the doctor is scary. What if it's not a wart or benign growth?

Long story (already blogged) short, it wasn't serious. It was a fairly normal growth, easily removed (that is, if anyone considers letting a doctor give them a 2nd degree burn "easy") and the lab tests came back showing it was, indeed, just a weird overreaction by my immune system, not something more sinister. I am thankful for that.

Indeed, I am thankful for my health overall. Meg five years ago was a hot mess of barely-controlled anxiety, high blood pressure, and worrying obesity. Meg now has normal blood pressure, a healthy weight, and coping mechanisms for the anxiety, when it happens (it will always happen, I know this, I'm okay with it, I deal). I am on one prescription medication--birth control--because I choose to be on it for many reasons.

But the key here is, I'm healthy. And I'm thankful for that. And while it's not a perfect system, and many people oppose it, I'm thankful for the Affordable Care Act, and the fact that as of January 1st, I will have health care again. Once my job goes over 50% (and it will, I'm determined to make it so), I will have healthcare through the district. But until then, having a safety net means a lot to me, after over three years without it. Thank goodness for Planned Parenthood being there for me, helping me monitor my blood pressure and other health needs (not just gynecological).

As for the growth, jokingly referred to as Bob the Blob, he is long gone. All that remains is a faint scar, but happily, I haven't needed a bandage in a couple of months now. 

No comments: