Thursday, March 28, 2013

Random Musings

I feel like I've been neglecting my poor Little Pink Blog of late. Sure, I put in my Week in Instagram posts, and other random ones, here and there, but most of my writing lately has either been for a professional purpose, at my kinda-new little side blog, Music By Meg, or it's been of a personal nature, stuff I don't share here.

It's hard to believe I've been blogging almost nine years. As I look back over those years, I can see the times where I blogged about every little thing, and the times that were sparse. As different adventures have taken over my life, I've focused on those--living in England, living in a new state (Washington), the weight loss "Odyssey," etc.

I sort of feel like right now I don't have an adventure to blog about, though I'm managing to find joy and adventure in my day-to-day life. It's just not all that blog-worthy. Besides, people have moved on to micro-blogging and Twitter and sometimes it feels like what I write here is more for my own gratification that anything else. I don't get a ton of page views--I'm okay with this, I never set out to be The Bloggess!--and I get so few comments anymore, too, though I suppose most people read my posts through Google Reader, as I read their blogs, and just don't feel compelled to leave that platform to actually comment here.

Anyway, my life at the moment is a pretty well-oiled machine of routine. Monday is run-gym-clean day, followed by choir at night. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday fly by in a frenzy of running, working out, teaching private lessons and trying to accomplish as much as I can from my weekly goal list (yes, I have a weekly goal list. It's typed. Outline format. Don't judge me, I'm getting more done than most people!!). Friday is a chaotic flurry of teaching, bookended by a commute that wears me out. Fridays are amazing, actually. I work on Saturdays now, so it's up early, over to Fusion, to teach several hours of piano and voice. I am enjoying my students there immensely, as well. Sunday, then is my one "day off," and I've been jealously guarding it. NASCAR is back, so I keep the race on my TV as I play around on the computer, lounge on the bed, etc. I may get a few odd things done, but if I spend all day Sunday doing nothing important, I don't beat myself up over it.

I'm still making time for social stuff, too. I recently had a great visit with my friend Chris, visiting from Colorado. Some of the high school girls met for dinner, and last weekend I went shopping with Summer. I've been on a few dates, too--alas, they were duds.

So work is going well, in its various forms. My writing muse is visiting regularly, just not in updates to this blog, but I hope to change that. I've been blogging here so long that I honestly feel like this is an extension of my brain--a vital one. Hell, I'm proud of this blog; it's lasted a lot longer than many I follow.

I've also been musing about where my blog fits in this great "blogosphere" on the Internet. There are definite categories of blogs: political, humor, satire, celebrity, fashion, lifestyle, "mommy blogs," feminist, animal blogs...I follow at least one or two in all of these categories. I follow running/fitness blogs, too, of course, and have, in the past, tried to fit in with that crowd (but found, that with a few exceptions, most of them are, "here's my workout log from today!" blogs, which I find boring). But I find that my blog, like the woman who writes it, refuses to be pigeonholed, instead preferring to represent a wide variety of interests, ideas, and passions. This is not a blog about a teacher, or a blog about a runner. It's not a blog about a musician, or a blog about a traveler. It's all of these things, and I like it that way.

So bear with me while I find my blogging mojo again. I hope to have bigger, grander adventures soon. As Summer approaches, I'll have a wee bit more time on my hands to hopefully take some day trips now and again, and get my new Canon out for some more exercise. Summer and I are cooking up plans to see Ben Folds Five, Barenaked Ladies and Guster in June. And I'm fighting like mad to get out of a recent running slump, so expect more posts about that in time.

Tonight's random musings brought to you by...Spring Break and Tetley tea.

No comments: