Thursday, January 17, 2013

Facebook Is My Happy Place

I admit it. I'm one of those annoying people who strives to keep her Facebook content overwhelmingly positive and happy. I try not to endlessly re-post all the little memes that go around, but every once in a while a LOLCat will make me snort with laughter and I have to share it with my friends.
I brag about my workouts, like this status from yesterday:

I do this not to make my life appear perfect to my old high school friends, but rather because as I scroll down my Timeline, I get a little tired of the people who endlessly piss and moan about life. The way I see it, you can bring happiness into people's lives, or negativity. I'd rather bring humor, joy, or at the very least, thought-provoking and conversation-starting ideas.

(Tangent: the abbreviation FML, the second definition on this Urban Dictionary link, makes me want to scream at people. You have a roof over your head? You have food to eat? You are better-off than most people on this planet, so stop moaning about how awful your life is because you have to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas or because your mom didn't cook what you wanted for dinner, or that cute guy at work doesn't pay attention to you...)

Anyway, yesterday, I got a little ranty when someone I'm "friends" with (actually, a fellow Keane fan that I don't know outside of the Internet) posted an incredibly offensive picture for all the world to see. To be fair, she was just as outraged by the picture as I was, and her sharing of the item was to promote getting the jerks in the picture found and prosecuted for animal cruelty.

That's all well and good, but I really didn't need to see four assholes holding the separated head and body of a ginger cat...at any time, but especially two months after horribly losing my own sweet ginger cat. I burst into tears as the reality of what I was staring at sunk in. The picture was horrifying, and completely unnecessary. Believe me, I'm well aware that animal abuse happens.

So I broke my usual rule of being the positive Facebook poster yesterday, and ranted a little that no one needs to see such images on social media. It turns out that Huffington Post ran a story about this image (and others, which has me shuddering) a few months ago; where people are working to identify the men demons in the images so that charges can be brought on them. Good.

I don't link the article because it contains one image--the really bad parts are heavily blurred, but I just can't stand the grinning faces of these criminals.

In the end, I hid the horrifying picture from my Facebook timeline and reported it as inappropriate. Now, if you need me, I'll be bragging about my workouts and playing Words With Friends...doing my best to keep my Facebook, at least, a positive place.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I'm with you about posting good and happy things on Facebook.