Monday, October 22, 2012

Snippets

Ugh! October has not been a month for blogging. I don't know why, I just haven't felt very bloggy. And November is coming soon, with NaNoWriMo, and I doubt I can even muster the energy for that. Ideas? None. Well, maybe one. We'll see.

Anyway, here are some little snippets of things I've been doing, seeing, thinking about, reading, loving, hating, whatever.

First, Something Awesome:

I don't even know what Dwell magazine is, but this letter to the editor, from an eight-year-old girl, is full of win.  (A Google search reveals that Dwell is a magazine about design. Ahh.)

This little girl hits the nail on the head--don't just hand over a Barbie doll, give girls something useful when they show an interest in a subject. I'm glad that there are parents out there who encourage their daughter to not only pursue her interests, but also to write to a magazine when she sees something that compels her to write.

The kids...they're alright, ya'll.

The Young Turks

A new friend introduced me recently to The Young Turks, and I'm hooked. They cover politics, world news, and pop culture, and yes, they have a decidedly more liberal bent. But here's the thing--they are willing to criticize liberal politicians just as much as conservative ones, when that criticism is warranted.

If you follow this blog or know me at all, you know I'm liberal. I don't dive into politics much at the LPB, because at some point in the last eight years, I decided this isn't really the space for that. I have many friends of many different belief systems, so the LPB remains a more light-hearted space for sharing the stories of my life. But I had to share The Young Turks. Because they're awesome.

The Gymbo Strikes Again

Due to crazy schedules and my only going to the gym three days a week anymore, I don't run into Matt the Reasonable quite as much as I used to. Because I love bragging, and he's super-supportive, I sent off a quick text last week: "Some lady just leg pressed 90 pounds. Considering she only weighs 130 herself...:)"

Of course, he was proud, and replied that I'm getting very strong. And indeed, I am. This month, I've gone back to hardcore strength training. Three sets, 10 reps each. As heavy as I can go. I've been pushing my limits, and today, I actually did 90 pounds on the lat pull-down. Because I'm awesome. On Saturday, I bench pressed 55 pounds. I'd try for more, but I need a spotter.

I'm in a bit of a running slump. I'm getting it done, but I've been bored, so I think a route change is in order. Time to spice things up a bit.

The Choir Nerd Strikes Again, Too

Sac Choral has its first concert of the season this weekend. We're returning to Sacramento's gorgeous Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament to perform Vivaldi's Gloria and the Faure Requiem. It's truly lovely music in a fabulous setting. Buy a ticket.

Anyway, we met at the cathedral last week, and will again tonight, for rehearsals, which means I go a bit crazy on Instagram.







How did I exist before my iPhone?

Take Me Out To The Ball Game...

My new friend--the same one who got me hooked on The Young Turks--is a baseball fan. He loves the A's. Since they lost their playoff series to the Tigers, he's been cheering for the Giants to make it to the World Series. And damn it, he has me watching baseball.

As though I needed a new sport to get hooked on, what with my Sundays being tied up with NASCAR and the Niners.

But there you have it. I'm sweating bullets for the Giants tonight, as they head into Game 7 against the Cardinals, tied in the series and going for the World Series. Oy! The drama. I won't be able to watch because of choir rehearsal, so I'll be texting New Friend for updates, no doubt.

Speaking of NASCAR

My heart just hasn't been in watching the last couple of weeks. My driver, Dale Jr., has been out of the races completely because of a concussion. I fully support his decision to take care of his health in taking this break, but damn, I'm so disappointed for him. A great season, and this.

Reports circulated that said he could have to stop driving entirely--they've been shot down--and it occurred to me that if he did leave driving, I probably wouldn't watch NASCAR much anymore. I started watching because of him, got hooked because of him, and I've never really supported any other drivers.

So I'm hoping he heals well and is able to get back out there soon.

It's That Time Again...Bwahahahaha...

I'm so happy, I can hardly contain myself.

Halloween 2009 was the last time I was able to dance the Monster Mash with my young music students...and this year, I get to do it again!

It's hardly a high-brow lesson on music theory. My Monster Mash lesson plan consists of dancing some approximation of the Twist and then making monster motions--flying on a broomstick, walking like Frankenstein, etc. etc. My wee charges, hyped up by costumes and classroom parties and sugar, love it. And I know Petite School will be no different. Friday is the big Halloween celebration day, and the primary teachers and I have already discussed whether or not to have music at all because of their classroom parties. I said, "Tell you what...why don't we do a half session, and I'll come to your room and do the Monster Mash with them?"

They loved it. It's so on.

Friday will find Yours Truly Monster Mashing my happy little heart out, listening to delighted giggles and saying to myself, "I'm getting paid to do this."

I. Love. My. Career.

Wait, What?

As I was typing the above, one of those annoying emergency broadcast signals beeped on the television (out in the living room--Mom and Dad are watching, my TV is off). Then I heard, "Tornado! What?" from Mom, so I got up to check this news out.

Indeed, my county is under tornado warning.

They happen in California--there was one in Folsom when I was in 4th grade--but they're rare here. And on that note, I have to leave in 45 minutes for choir rehearsal. Heh. I guess if I see a large funnel in the sky, I'll make sure I drive away from it.

Oy vey.

And That, As They Say, Is All, Folks.

Well, it is now, anyway. I can't think if I had anything else to write about, as I've been distracted by Tornado Watch 2012. Oh, life. Keep being Wild and Absolutely True. 

No comments: