Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Running Problems

Yesterday, one of the most hilarious blogs about running ever created, Shut Up and Run, posted this post about leaking while running. Beth at SUAR has a no-holds-barred approach to blogging about bodily functions (she's a big fan of farting in particular) and hers is one of the only running blogs I follow that I actually look forward to reading, because she tells stories, rather than just regurgitating her training stats as most running blogs do.

At the end of her post, she posed the question asking what her readers' running problems are, and I felt inspired to write my own blog post about...snot.

Yes, snot.

I have outgrown being a snot, but let me tell you, my snot problem when I run is downright disgusting.

Everyone has their thing. Some people leak, or end up in the nearest Porta Potty desperately emptying their bowels, when they run. I'm lucky that if I use the loo before I go I am usually fine for the duration. But you get me out there running and inevitably, my nose wants to run free, too.

It's worst in the winter. Cold temps make me a little sniffly anyway, so when I get out there to pound the pavement, my nose starts its merry dripping. I snort, I sniffle, I make disgusting sounds. And in the end, I always fall back on the most disgusting habit of all.

I wipe my stupid dripping nose on my sleeve.

Yes, it's disgusting. And yet, it's sometimes the only thing to be done out there. I do intend--eventually--to buy some cheap bandanas to tie around my wrist for use as a handkerchief--an idea given me by my friend Meghan. I just haven't yet. Perhaps before my next race, so I'm not that lady running the course, snotting all over everyone.

So there you have it. I am disgusting. It's a runner thing.

No comments: