Saturday, September 01, 2012

Yosemite

Today, one of my fellow duck ladies asked on Facebook how to correctly say "Yosemite." She'd seen it on the Dutch news because of the recent virus problem down that way. I told her it's basically, "Yo-sem-mih-tee" and even posted a really cheesy two-second iPhone video of me saying it (no, it will not be put out there for public consumption!). Then I shared a pic of the gorgeous Yosemite Valley with her and started feeling a bit nostalgic about the trip I made there four years ago--the one time I've been.

So I thought I'd share some pictures here. At the time I went, I put pics up on my now-defunct travel blog, but I never have shared them much here. I'd like to fix that.




My first glimpse of El Capitan and Half Dome.

El Capitan from the valley floor.





This was, of course, with extreme close-up, but the deer around the valley
are generally pretty comfortable around people.

So are the squirrels. This one was a blatant food thief.



The incense cedar trees are not only gorgeous, they
smell wonderful.

A reminder that Yosemite has never been entirely
hospitable.

The bottom of the above tombstone.





I love this shot. Yosemite felt like just the place where
you should lounge around barefoot. Or, you know,
bear-foot. Hahaha.


Looking up the road to Half Dome.

A self-portrait with Half Dome. This was five months before I started
training.

The Merced River, near my hotel (outside of the park).




The sun rising over the park.

We have a lot to thank Muir and Roosevelt for.


The famous Tunnel View early in the morning.





Half Dome from up near Glacier Point.



Yosemite Valley, some 7,000 feet below me.








Back on the valley floor.

This buck was closer to me than the picture would make it appear. I looked
up and gasped out loud when I saw him. Then we just stood and stared
at each other for a moment.

Not a great picture, but that's a coyote jogging down the road.

So there you have it. A few Yosemite pictures on a Saturday afternoon, just because.

No comments: