Monday, August 20, 2012

What Do You Do?

A few nights ago, my new boss hosted a potluck dinner at her place for the small group of teachers at my new school (which, henceforth, shall be referred to as Petite School because it is very small in numbers--but large on awesomeness). My new colleagues seem excited to meet me, and there were lots of questions about what my role will be--the previous music person did things differently and my coming into the school has given the admins a chance to bring music to all grade levels. As a devoted music educator, I am so on board with this.

There were also the inevitable questions about where I come from, what I've been up to in my career thus far, and, seeing as how I'll only be teaching one day a week this year, what I do with the rest of my time.

I was a little nervous meeting all these people, and one of the school's owners was standing there (previously I'd only spoken to her on the phone), so I smiled and said, "Oh, I teach private music lessons, as well, and sing with Sacramento Choral Society." I felt awkward in the pause after this statement--as though there should be more to my answer--so I blurted, "And I'm training for a triathlon."

There she goes...there she goes again.

A few weeks ago, I told M. the Reasonable that I keep telling people I'm training for a triathlon--and the biggest reason I tell anyone who will listen is because my considerable Leo pride will not let me back down once the whole world knows I've decided to go for it. There is no backing out, chickening out, or otherwise finding reasons not to do a triathlon next year. I'm in this, no matter how slowly I swim, or how little I know about shifting on a racing bike.

After I blurted this bit of info out, I wondered if, perhaps, that didn't sound a little sad. Partially-employed woman spending tons of time running, swimming, saving money for a bike she doesn't yet have (so close!!) and strength training? Then I thought, "Oh, nonsense." Training for a tri is damned awesome, and if this is how I spend this period of my life, well, that's incredible. I could be sitting on the couch watching soap operas--instead, I'm making my body faster and stronger, while working towards a goal that most people don't even take on to begin with.

There's no shame in that.


No comments: