Saturday, August 18, 2012

Gotta Tri

In the interest of not boring the readers I still have with endless angst about triathlons, I've refrained, of late, from posting my continuing self-doubts and "what-am-I-thinkings" in the interest of just running, swimming, and saving the last few hundred I need for my bike.

But the doubts are still there. I went back to swimming this week after about three weeks off, and it kicked my butt. M. the Reasonable said this is normal, but it doesn't make me any happier with being so fatigued (we can probably also blame two weeks' worth of 100+ degree days).

A few days ago, I came across this story. Someone I follow on Facebook shared it, and said, "It's worth the 10 minutes of your time." And indeed, it was. It also served to remind me that if an 8-year-old can pull his little brother along in a triathlon, I can certainly make it through my own.

Cayden Long is a little boy with cerebral palsey. His big brother, Connor, is a little boy wise beyond his years. Together, they have completed several youth triathlons, Connor pulling and pushing his brother through the course. They mostly finish at the back of the pack, but that's not what matters to them. To Connor, it's seeing his little brother's happy smile, and being able to give him a way to participate with the able-bodied children.

I don't mind admitting that I cried and cried watching the video. Go ahead, spend the 10 minutes. You won't be sorry.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Aimee Mullins can be a kick-ass athlete, so can you! You just have to believe in yourself -- don't listen to the doubts!!

http://aimeemullins.tumblr.com/post/29265323955/victory-over-mud-swamps-rope-burns-fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimee_Mullins