Sunday, June 03, 2012

Tea Can Wait

This evening, I sat down at the computer with a cup of just-brewed tea. It was just as I like it--brewed semi-strong with a tiny bit of sugar and the littlest dash of milk. Tea is one of my greatest simple pleasures in life.

Just then, Dad asked if I wanted to accompany him and Mom on a walk. "Oh, I just brewed this tea," I replied, lounging in my desk chair wearing pajamas, enjoying a DVD and tuning into Facebook on my computer. Dad shrugged and a moment later, he and Mom were out the front door.

And I was left to think.

A cup of tea, or a quick walk.

Today is my rest day--I gave myself a nice lazy day to reward myself for a couple of fast miles with running club yesterday (I'm near a nine-minute mile, and this is awesome) and for surviving the craziness of a day filled with choir rehearsal and a concert. But a little light activity, even on a rest day, is always good, so I got up and threw on some running gear. I glanced longingly at my piping-hot cup of tea, which would need a few minutes to cool just enough so that I wouldn't burn my tongue. I decided I could brew another cup when I returned.

So I set off. I never did catch up with Mom and Dad (they had turned down one of the side streets) but I ended up walking and jogging a quick mile and returning home to find my tea was actually the perfect temperature for drinking.

Gone are the days when I let inactivity rule my life.

1 comment:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I love this! You are right that the tea can wait but those times to spend time with family and getting some activity in may not always be there.