Thursday, June 21, 2012

Little Things

I was laughing at something a few minutes ago, and, as I sometimes do, I put my hand on my belly. What really struck me was feeling the abdominal muscles contract as I laughed, where I used to feel nothing but fat. Oh, there's still a bit of flab, and I'm okay with that. But there are some incredible muscles in there, too, and I was delighted to feel them at work.

It reminds me of the "little things" I've been celebrating for over three years now. I think about them constantly--passing the Mac 'N Cheese at the grocery store and going straight to the produce section. It sounds ridiculous, but keep in mind, there was a point in my life when I did not have the willpower to choose fresh vegetables and lean proteins over an easy-to-cook box of processed chemical cheese and cheap pasta. When my stressed-out soul demanded that and considered it "good food."

After my big fall last week, I was craving something gooey and chocolatey. Hey, falling is traumatic! I hurt my elbow! I couldn't work out at the gym! I was stressed. What harm would a piece of chocolate cake do?

I bought some fresh strawberries instead. (Side note: I cannot stop eating strawberries. I think I'd just eat them all day if I thought I could get away with it. I'm going to turn red and freckled any day now.)

The little things. One small choice, with an enormous impact.

It gets me thinking about other small things I celebrate. The pair of pajamas I bought in a size small recently. The slight bagginess of my current pair of Old Navy Sweethearts. Wearing the Booty Shorts of Doom to the gym and not expiring of embarrassment. Feeling like a complete wannabe in my swim cap, goggles and Speedo, but still getting in the pool and swimming--so that I don't have to feel like a wannabe anymore. M. the Reasonable telling me I'm a badass. Having friends come to me for advice on working out and/or running.

And a big thing I celebrate: Learning to love my body, with all of its curves and muscles, its strong parts and its soft parts. This body is not perfect, but it is strong, and it's mine.

No comments: