Friday, June 15, 2012

I Scream, You Scream...

We all scream for ice cream!!

I love ice cream. While the Cake vs. Pie debate rages on forever on the Internet, I'll just be in my corner, eating straight out of the carton of Ben and Jerry's. Dublin Mudslide (think non-alcoholic Bailey's ice cream). Red Velvet cake. Ben and Jerry know their ice cream, and how to make me happy.

Of course, my new lifestyle doesn't allow for tons and tons of ice cream. I have the occasional treat, once every couple of months, and believe me, I enjoy it. A lot. But no longer do I buy pints of Ben and Jerry's, or half gallons of Dreyer's. I just can't if I want to maintain the level of fitness I've reached. Ever try going for a run after overindulging on ice cream?

It's not pretty.

Anyway, temps have been soaring here in the Sacra-tomato Valley. If it's not 100 degrees today, it's very close, and has been every day this week. Even with the air conditioner cranked up and aimed directly at my face and armpits, driving around out there is miserable, and sometimes, a girl gets home and just wants ice cream.

Here's my solution.

I recently indulged and bought myself the chocolate-flavored protein whey supplement at the gym. I've been using the vanilla for months in my daily protein smoothies, with lots of fruit and spinach. I got the idea to try the chocolate, and blended it with a banana, a handful of spinach (you don't taste it, and it's packed with nutrients), a tablespoon of peanut butter, and some chocolate-flavored almond milk (much better than cow's milk). Needless to say, it's delicious. Even better? It's healthy, and something I have to consume anyway.

A few days ago, I got the idea to try freezing it. What do you know? It comes out just like frozen yogurt. I can trick myself into thinking I'm getting ice cream instead of yet another smoothie (I drink two a day to help my muscles recover from all the working out I do).

I have a feeling I'll be eating a lot of "ice cream" this summer.

Taken with Instagram on my new-yes-I-absolutely-love-it iPhone.

No comments: