Friday, December 09, 2011

Vocal Point

This is the last post related to "The Sing-Off" that I want to do...but I couldn't not feature the fifth-place group, Vocal Point.

In the first episode, when I first "met" them, I was surprised to learn they were from Brigham Young University in Utah--in other words, a group of nine Mormon guys. How in the world would they fit in this show? Well, it turns out the show is family-friendly, and also, these guys are not afraid to have fun on stage. They had me from their first performance (and their dramatic side-story of poor Ben, who had to miss the first few weeks because of his father's illness and death).


Their Elvis medley was a lot of fun:


And I loved their "You've Really Got Me Going" by the Kinks:


Their arrangement of "Life Is A Highway" on country night was fantastic (love the ignition at the beginning).


In the end, Vocal Point wasn't quite as strong as some of the other groups, but they were always fun to watch and listen to, and they maintained the same sense of humility and class all of the other groups.

So, thank you, Summer, for getting me hooked on "The Sing-Off!" Can't wait for another season!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

My husband and I are BYU alums, so we were rooting for them. We've seen them in person (different guys, since it was years ago), and they really are that energetic with each performance. Oh, and we liked their lead's performance for the Christmas episode better than Nick Lachey's!