Friday, December 02, 2011

A Visit To Planned Parenthood

Editor's note: This blog is a little more TMI than my usual fare, but I've left out the goriest details.

When  my job ended in May 2010, so, of course, did my medical benefits. I am among the many people in this country who cannot afford health insurance. I am also among the many who are ineligible for Medi-Cal, because my income is "too large" (because living off of $1,800 a month is so easy when you're single).

For a while now, I've been wanting to make an appointment at Planned Parenthood for my annual physical and to talk about options for getting on the pill. The pill regulates my periods and keeps the monthly acne breakouts at bay, and I miss being on it. I finally got proactive this week and called to make an appointment.

I arrived at the Roseville Planned Parenthood yesterday, about half an hour before my appointment was scheduled. I had no idea what to expect--would they be brusque and all-business? After all, Planned Parenthood is a busy place. Would they help me with the forms I had to fill out?

From the moment I walked in, the ladies at the registration desk were all smiles and friendliness. I was given a medical history form and a couple of forms that asked about my ability to pay, my current financial and living situation, and, of course, questions about my sexual history and if there is any current abuse happening in my life. After last year's emergency room adventure, I was not expecting to be eligible for any kind of assistance, but I filled out the forms anyway, just in case.

Right at the time of my appointment, I was called back by a nurse, who did the standard weighing, blood pressure taking, and questions about medical history. She was very friendly, and even though she seemed to be bustling around an busy, she was happy to talk to me and make me feel at ease.

Imagine my total surprise when she handed me a small plastic card and told me that I am eligible for state assistance that covers the cost of my pap smear and some of my birth control! Having been denied Medi-Cal, and stuck with paying off that $2,500 hospital bill from last year, I could have cried when I learned that all they were asking from me yesterday was a donation, if I could afford it. There was never any pressure to give.

Next came the nerve-wracking part involving taking all of my clothes off and putting on a paper gown and lap drape. I've yet to meet any woman who feels totally comfortable at an appointment with the gynecologist! I waited a few minutes and before long, the doctor knocked on the door and came in.

We started with the standard health questions, and for my reasons for being there that day, my history with the pill, etc. At first I thought she might be a bit brusque but within five minutes, the doctor turned away from the computer, smiled at me, and proved to be as nice and friendly as everyone else I'd dealt with so far. I was immediately more at ease.

The good news is that everything looks and feels healthy and of course, I bragged to her about my weight loss and fitness victories in the last two years, which she agreed must be a huge part of my overall health and freedom from major anxiety. Finally, I was getting dressed again and wondering what where I would have to go to get my pills.

As soon as I stepped outside, my question was answered. The nurse was back, with a small paper bag. I walked out with a three month supply and thorough instructions about when to start and how to use it. After settling my account (I made a donation because I had set aside some money in anticipation of having to pay for everything already and I fully believe in Planned Parenthood's mission to promote women's health and provide essential services) I left the office, amazed at how smoothly everything had run--I never had any major complaints about Kaiser, but my experiences there were never so easy as this one, either. Every person I encountered in Planned Parenthood was friendly--and this is so important for putting someone at ease. Any medical appointment comes with a little bit of anxiety and stress, but especially one that involves being naked. It's an extremely vulnerable position to be in, and everyone there seemed well-trained in making the whole deal less awkward.

I follow Planned Parenthood on Facebook and Twitter--in the last several months, some major attacks against this organization have been launched, and it breaks my heart to think that Planned Parenthood has to spend so much time and energy on fighting for their organization. It takes away from their most important mission--to promote healthy women and families. It's not about abortion, it's not even about birth control. It's about protecting people from health problems ranging from STIs to cancer. It's about helping women who are not in a position to help themselves--whether they are living in deep poverty, or are in an abusive situation, or, like me, between jobs and just need some help keeping up with their health.

Will I continue to support Planned Parenthood? Absolutely.

No comments: