Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shrinking Debt

A couple of weeks ago, I sent off a $400 payment on my hospital bill from last year. Before this, I had only ever been able to send $50-$100 at a time (and only when I had any extra money, which was rare). Now that I'm not paying rent and I have minimal bills to keep up with, I can make larger payments--already, moving in with Mom and Dad is paying off in a big way.

Yesterday, I actually had the money to do a bit of shopping--nothing major, mind you, but I did need some pants and a few tops. A new pair of jeans, a new pair of cute winter moccasins. A pretty necklace (on sale!). A sweater top. I didn't go overboard, but the joy was in being able to go to the mall and browse...and buy. Living on unemployment has taught me that I can have a small wardrobe and be happy with it, but having a few nice things to replace some of my more worn items is also nice.

When I got home, I went to get the mail (Mom and Dad are in the middle of a two-and-a-half week cruise from Italy to Turkey) and found a new statement from the hospital billing department. They had processed my $400 check and now, I'm happy to report, the debt is shrinking. Next month, I will make another large payment and it will be below $1,000. I can't tell you how good that feels.

So good, I might just indulge in a new pair of boots!

No comments: