Wednesday, July 13, 2011

California Dreamin': Another SoCal Sojourn (Carmel-By-the-Sea)

Downtown Carmel (formally known as Carmel-by-the-Sea) is so damned cute, it's almost like something straight out of Disneyland. There's quite a little English vibe to it, and it is chock-full of artsy-fartsy little shops and galleries and every chi-chi little trinket you could dream of.

In other words, fun to wander around, but a bit out of my price range. Also, once you've seen it, you've seen it.

However, it is quite photogenic and I took a bunch of pictures on Monday, including some fabulous signs. I'll present them now with commentary.



You can probably already see the English feel this place has.

I mean, this is the fire station, for cryin' out loud.

More stairs--I swear, all over Carmel they have the
nicest stairs.


One of at least five garden shops I encountered.






I'm quite pleased with this picture.











More stairs...I hate that this one is blurry!

There are tons of these little "alleyways" with shops and
flowers and places to sit, hidden from street view.

I love and adore this orchestra painting. (As with all pics
I post, you can click it and it will open a larger version.)


Cali and Daffy in Picadilly Park (another England thing).

Look at the door on this place!


















A cleverly disguised speaker piping music into the
courtyard.













Even the Shell gas station didn't have its usual garish red-and-yellow neon
sign, but rather an understated and elegant one.
After this, I was ready to head home. I drove through Pacific Grove and Monterey but didn't make any stops, except for a Valero in Sand City for gas--then it was straight back to Stockton. I was tired and I had to be up early on Tuesday.

It was a lovely day out. If you're going to drive all over California for job interviews, might as well sight-see while you're out, right?

1 comment:

kiki said...

WOW!!! Carmel looks like a quaint little town. You're acting as a "tour guide" for me and showing me places I want to go visit someday!