Friday, June 24, 2011

California Dreamin': Where Didn't I Go Today?

As I mentioned earlier this week, I have had some job interviews. Today was a 9:10 interview in King City. Let me just mention here that King City is 177 miles from Stockton. A three-hour drive. I'm pretty sure I actually drove to Southern California today just to interview for a teaching position.

Never let it be said that I'm not dedicated.

Anyway, to get there with time to spare, I left at 5:30. No, I didn't get out of bed at 5:30, I left at 5:30. I got out of bed at 4:30. I'm either insane or just really desperate for a job.

I figured I may as well make a day trip out of it, so I set off wearing my suit pants and a camisole, keeping my jacket hanging in the back seat and wearing a favorite light summer hoodie for the drive. I had packed a lunch (which I didn't end up eating) and a bag with a change of clothes and my heels. I wore my favorite old ballet flats for the drive--much more comfortable.

I took some pictures throughout the day--I'll explain them in the captions and upload a quick video, too. 

Swimmy is my copilot. He took care of the Google directions.
My jacket and scarf
I stopped at a rest stop to get some sunrise pictures. The San Joaquin
Valley is lovely.

Looking North (back towards Stockton).

Looking South (where I was headed).

A little ways down Insterstate 5 is a vista point that I've never stopped at.
I had time, so this morning, I did. This is looking at I-5 to the south.

To the North


One trucker used the vista point as a nice place to catch some sleep.

Once I left I-5, I entered a serious agricultural part of California.

Sorry for the ginormous pole, but you can see the lovely view behind it...

By the time I got to Gonzalez, I was about 40 miles out but really needed a
loo. I stopped to use one and saw this sign. The spelling! Gah!!
As I arrived in King City, there was still a low fog from the coast settled over the valley. I drove around the town a little before going to the school district office. King City is quite small and it feels out-of-the-way. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to live there, but an interview is a good thing, and a job offer would be even better. We'll see what happens. I only got one picture in town, of a FANTASTIC sign that will be immediately placed in my "Best Signs EVER" folder.



Within 10 minutes of the end of my interview, I had found a deserted parking lot and done a lightning-quick stealth change into skinny jeans and a tank top. (I am talented, people. Skinny jeans.) I was delighted to see as I left the interview that the fog had worn off completely in the 30 minutes I'd been inside, leaving the sky fresh and blue. It was still cool out, so I wore my hoodie, but it was glorious to drive with my music cranked up. I had a plan--I drove northward to Soledad, to visit one of California's 21 missions.







California is beautiful.























Olive trees

Olives

Cali Swimmy was so excited to go for a dip in the fountain.






Cali Swimmy does not approve of empty bird baths.




The California Golden Poppy--our state flower.


I'll say it again: California is beautiful.


I couldn't get Cali to stay on my head, it was so windy.


Baby grapes!

On the road back to the freeway, I was able to stop and get some farmland
pictures. Some of them are lopsided, though!



Lettuce?

I stopped here for some postcards. My brother collects postcards, so I
always pick a few up everywhere I go. I keep a stack in my desk and send
one off every few days. He loves it.

After Soledad, I drove west to Monterey. I wasn't in the mood for the tourist traps, so I stopped at Monterey's glorious downtown park to feed some bread to the geese and seagulls. Last night I found I had four pieces left that I wouldn't be using, so I brought them with me.

Great old sign in Monterey

They saw my bag of bread and started gathering 'round.

On my left.

On my right.

Swimmy checks out the seagulls (those birds are JERKS to each other! It
was mayhem trying to get the bread evenly distributed).


Right, an interruption. I can't get some pics to upload, and it's 9:45 at night. I've been up since 4:30...so there will have to be a part 2 tomorrow! Bed is calling...


5 comments:

kiki said...

I LOVE that drive along I-5 south of Stockton! Most people hate that there is nothing for miles but I love it! I've seen the signs for King City... of course I had to google map it. That would be quite a ways from where you are now but a possible new adventure... LOVE the pics of the mission, too!

kiki said...

kiki is Nicki, btw... :)

Sarah said...

Your pic of the sun coming up between the two lorries is STUNNING!! I repeat, STUNNING!! Also, looking at all your photos, yes, California IS beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day! Love your pictures!

The one labeled "Lettuce?" is cabbage of some kind. Can't tell what kind, it might even be cauliflower. But definitely something in the Cruciferae family.

Meg said...

Nicki--people think it's boring south of Stockton, and the drive is a little monotonous because it's just straight ahead most of the way, but I love that area--it's a HUGE part of California's agricultural industry and to me, it represents a vital part of our economy and our role in the world.

Sarah--thank you! I was quite proud of that shot. It's basically the first thing I saw as I put the car in park and got out. You will come to CA some day and I'll take you to some of these places. It's such a spectacular state.

Ms. Magpie--I should've known you would be able to tell me what that was! All I know is that it looked very cool and much prettier in person than it looks in my shot--I was creeping along a deserted road and quickly taking the picture!