Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Adjectives

I am so many adjectives tonight.

BUSY

No, no, actually. I was busy. Now I'm in a certified state of "Good grief! What day is it?!" I've been getting up at 5:30, and putting in some time at the Chorale office (I'm volunteering while they advertise for and hire a new Office Manager). It's four hours, three days a week, and I have kept busy doing office duties and librarian duties.

EUPHORIC

What started, earlier this week as one possible connection and one job interview has morphed, in one day, into three job interviews. My friend Summer called me on Sunday and told me that the choir she sings for has a non-profit side that helps fund music teachers in the Oakland school district. She is friends with the lady who runs this. They might need a full-time K-5 music teacher. Summer told the lady all about me and was told, "Get her resume to me!" Today, I had a text from Summer: "Check your email!" Turns out the lady wanted to talk to me, so we chatted on the phone this afternoon and she kept mentioning that she loves the teaching experience I've had. We're meeting on Monday in person.

Then tomorrow, there's the job interview in Palo Alto. This would have been great, but then my phone rang this afternoon--another school district, and another interview! This one is on Friday. It's a three-hour drive and I'll have to leave at 5:45 to get there on time, but I'm not complaining. Not at all, no. Actually, I'm getting interviews!!

Oh, and I woke up this morning to another Retweet from a certain drummer of a certain rock band that I kinda-sorta like.Two in 24 hours!

BUMMED

Because I now have an interview on Friday morning, three hours south of Stockton and four hours south of where Mom and Dad live, I won't be able to go to her quilt show. I can't go tonight, either, or Saturday (Adoption Day) so I'm bummed that I won't be able to support her. She helped put it together, and she has a quilt in the show! My mom rocks.

HYPERACTIVE

What I should be is a blubbering ball of exhausted, but instead, I've been scooping litter boxes, running the vacuum, sweeping the kitchen, washing the dishes, giving the bathroom the quickest possible once-over, getting to eBay sales ready to ship, organizing my desk and working a little on a project I'm helping Summer with. I promoted my Etsy and eBay shops on Twitter and Facebook, joined a "cruise" on a Facebook page called The Craft Show to get more fans for my own Facebook page that I set up for my Etsy shop...you get the idea.

IRRITATED

I think my upstairs neighbors got a dog.

I love dogs.

I just don't love dogs in 750 square-foot apartments. Dogs that yap for 10 minutes straight at 9:00, then 10:00, then 11:00...when one certain blogger has the lights out and is trying to sleep because her alarm clock is going off at 5:30.

Also, Pacific Gas and Electric needs to get their act together. We had a two-and-a-half-hour power outage last week, and a few times since then, it's blinked ominously and last night even went out completely for about a minute, leaving me in my bathroom, about to shower, in the pitch dark, thinking, "Oh, swell."

SATISFIED

So many good things--it's great to feel productive. And tonight I have a few minutes to sit and blog, with a fat little ginger cat on my lap, alternating between headbutting my chin and staring at the moving cursor on the screen. Ahhh, he's just leaned his head against my arm and stretched his front legs out before him (he's sitting on my lap like a child would) and he's dozing off. Millie is napping on top of the hard drive. I have cute cats.

HOPEFUL

Getting job interviews makes me very hopeful that something really good is coming for me. This last year has been a year of learning and transition. I've had time to dream and scheme and I've come up with some interesting ideas for myself. And now it seems there's hope that I'll have a job again, and more income. Lovely.

WORRIED

Well, of course...even while I'm hopeful, I'm worried. My first year of unemployment benefits end on Saturday, and though I know there is a second year available, I'm still worried about the what-ifs...it's silly, but there you have it. And of course I'm worried that none of these job prospects will work out, or that the one I really want won't and the 3rd choice will and I'll have to orchestrate a huge, crazy move to a part of California I don't really know.

But I guess it's best to leave the worrying behind and just focus on the hope, right?

SWEATY

After an uncharacteristic cold and wet start to June, Summer (not my friend, the season) has arrived in California, reminding me why I never really look forward to it. We've had some very hot days this week, requiring closed blinds and near-constant running of the two wall units in my apartment during the day.

I've been avoiding being outside as much as possible and so far, I'm beating the heat pretty well. I mean, I sit around my apartment drinking hot tea, so the air conditioning must be doing its job, right?

EXHAUSTED

With two early mornings this week, a hard time sleeping last night, the heat, and this afternoon and evening's hyperactivity, I find myself getting sleepier and sleepier. It's almost 9:00, and I have to get up at 5:00, so...good night!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Hi Meg -- Long time lurker (found you via Woody and Dee at Chance for Bliss -- friends of mine) and I wish you tons of good luck in your upcoming interviews!! Let us know how they turn out!!