Friday, March 04, 2011

Complimented

I was reading my news feed on Facebook this morning when I came across a post by Julia Quinn, one of my favorite authors. Over the years I've read a lot of romance novels, and as my tastes have changed with age, I have found that while other authors' prose is "cheesy" and overdone, Ms. Quinn's books are always well-written, with strong female characters and nice leading men. Her books are always set in England's Regency, which has always fascinated me.

But I digress. The point of this post is about what happened on Facebook this morning. Ms. Quinn posted a little blurb about National Grammar Day, and invited her fans to post grammar-related haikus in the comments. I was about the 10th person, perhaps, to post one, and she immediately responded:


Yes! One of my favorite authors responded to me on Facebook with a lovely compliment. This is just as nice as when Richard of Keane responds to me on Twitter!

6 comments:

alana said...

That is sweet! I always feel weird when authors talk to me. I've been emailed quite a few times after posting a book review. I'm always unsure how to respond.

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Squeeee!!!! Julia is one of my favorites, too!! (And the entry was good, Meg... it's not an idle compliment.)

Used to read Georgette Heyer back in m'youth and was so pleased Julia came on the scene with more wit and snappy dialog.

Recently tried a couple of the recommendations on her website and enjoyed those authors, too!

Meg said...

Lisa,

I have pretty much every book she's written! She is marvelous and I love her style. Her heroines aren't simpering flowers, either.

And yes, her recommendations are really good--I tried Eloisa James because of her and found her to be good (though not *as* good as Julia!).

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Ha!! Me, too! (All of Quinn's books.)

Just read "Goddess of the Hunt," by Tessa Dare, on Julia's recommendation. http://www.amazon.com/Goddess-Hunt-Tessa-Dare/dp/0345506863

Dare is her protegee and this is an admirable debut. The book has flaws but Dare shows some real promise. I plan to get her next and see if she grows into it.

Surprisingly, given it's premise, I enjoyed "At the Bride Hunt Ball," by Olivia Parker, also on Julia's recommendation. http://www.amazon.com/Bride-Hunt-Ball-Avon-Romance/dp/0061355445

And, yeah, Eloisa is not *as* good, but I still enjoy her novels.

Hey, romantic fiction is popcorn for the brain... lotsa fiber, which is good for ya, if not a lot of nutrition. ;-)

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Oh yeah, and also recently read "A Seductive Offer, by Kathryn Smith. http://www.amazon.com/A-Seductive-Offer-ebook/dp/B0027KRRRU/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

First time I'd read her and plan to try another. *Hated* the hero's nickname, but read the book in record time. :-)

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Can you tell I (unashamedly!) read a lot of drivel?? Got Kindle for my iPhone and, I swear, it promotes speed reading. LOL! Maybe because I read in line at the grocery store and during other periods of "unavoidable delay."

(PS - That quote was from "Cheaper by the Dozen," by Frank Gilbreth and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey... one of my favorite books of all time. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006008460X/ref=kinw_rke_tl_1. Damn, I wish they had it in Kindle edition!)