Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday Night Date Night

In which our heroine shakes her head, laughs uncontrollably, and then takes herself out on a date.

Online dating--you just never know what you're going to find. You can see that the original message by this guy was not very imaginative. So I responded in kind. His response back left my eyebrows stuck up somewhere around my hairline. I thought maybe I might be taking things a little bit too personally so I consulted with friends on Facebook. General consensus: "That's rude." Yeah, I thought so.

So I responded with sarcasm. Anyway, read on:


I figured this could go one of two ways:

1. He'd get the message and not respond to me, or

2. He'd get defensive, and I'd not respond to him.

He surprised me.

His next message, I kid you not, said, "How about your chest area ;)"

(Lack of punctuation and all.)

I simply replied, "Obviously, my sarcasm didn't shine through," and that seems to be the end of that. I hope, anyway. In the end, I had to laugh--both at his clueless audacity and at the reaction of my friends. Maayan summed it up succinctly, as usual: "OMFG."

I took myself out on a date tonight, going to a local dive bar/cafe to hear some live music. I was feeling in the moment and happy about going until I complimented the singer, a lady named Amy Obenski.

"You have a lovely voice."

Blank stare. Pause.

"Oh. Thanks."

She did not seem remotely pleased to be complimented. She performs a lot, and has CDs, so she's got to be used to people complimenting her. I felt kind of stupid saying anything, and then regretted putting money in the tip jar...though her opening act, a male folksy-blues-country singer, was nicer, so I'll just figure all my tip money went to him.

Of course, she can't know that I am absolutely brutal when it comes to judging other female singers--I let nothing slide--not one wonky vowel, not one warble, not one shrieky note. For me to say she sounded good means she was good. But her attitude stunk, so *harrumph* is all I can say.

I'm glad I took myself out. The "cafe" was really more of a dive bar kind of place, but it was friendly and I can see myself going back. I was overdressed, wearing sassy shoes and a Parisian scarf/shawl pinned in front with a vintage brooch that belonged to my Grandma Bean. It was really more of a jeans-and-hoodies type of establishment, but I dressed up for myself tonight and felt pretty damned good.

I mean, hey, I could have worn my workout gear, or pajamas. Or jeans and a hoodie. These are becoming my signature style, so a little Fashion Smashion (to be blogged tomorrow) was just what I needed.

I'm feeling creative, so tomorrow I think I'll stick to the pajama uniform, stick some movies in the DVD player, and set up a table in the living room to make some cards for my Etsy shop. A bunch of friends are having babies all over the place, so I'll make some cards for them, too. If I get fed up being stuck at home, maybe I'll stop by PetCo and see if the AFC ladies need a hand with Adoption Day.

With that,

Buenos noches.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eww, Amy sounds like a royal biatch. Remind me to NOT look her up online. ;-)