Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I'd like to propose a toast.


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It's not just about the food, it's about setting aside a day to think about the good things we have, the blessings in our lives. I am fortunate to have many, many blessings, and today is a day for me to be appreciative.

So I propose a toast to...

1. My family

It's been a tough year, but I have two awesome allies in the craziness--Mom and Dad. They have been nothing but supportive of me, even as I decided to tough out the unemployment in Stockton instead of saving money by moving home. They have helped me, they have watched my cats, they have not questioned my decisions.

I can't tell you how wonderful they are to me; they're pretty awesome parents and I love them very much.

And, of course, Millie and Harley, my furkids. They keep me happy, healthy and sane. Well, mostly sane (she typed as a certain 13-pound ginger feline raced across the desk, over her arms, to the kitchen counter in a flurry of kitty madness). Both are healthy, both are happy, and for this, I am thankful.

2. My friends


Where do I start? I'll start with Summer. We celebrated our 10th Friend-o-versary this year, and marvelled at how much we've been through together since college. Through moves to San Diego (her) and England (me) and Napa (her) and Washington (me) and Oakland (her) and Stockton (me), we've remained friends. This year she accompanied me to our second Keane concert, and she never once got frustrated with my over-excitement or my constant gushing. She even waited in the cold with me--in downtown Oakland, I might add--so that I could meet Richard. That's friendship. We were freezing. And did I mention it was downtown Oakland?

I have made some awesome new friends this year, through Keane. It started in July, when I noticed that I seemed to be interacting with a gal named Maayan a lot at the fan forum. I sent her a private message to thank her for being so welcoming. Before I knew it, we were constantly going back-and-forth all over the forum, excited for our chances to see the guys live again (me in Oakland, CA and her in Brooklyn, NY). The day after she went to the Brooklyn gig, she asked if she could have my phone number, as she had a question for me. She was worried about sounding like a stalker, but I just laughed and gave her my number. She called later and we found that yes, we can both talk a mile a minute. Her question? "How would you like something that was signed 'To Meg from Richard?'" A few days later, my autographed tour book arrived in the mail and we've been pretty much maintaining a very loud Wall of Sound across the USofA since then (people in Nebraska have started asking us to keep it down).

Then there's Lindsay in Michigan, Amanda in Holland, Sarah in England, Annie in New York (who came to San Francisco to see Mt. Desolation and Mumford and Sons and didn't once get embarrassed that I had a rubber ducky with me) and many others who have made me laugh, made me smile, built me up as friends do.

There's Meghan, Monterey-day-tripper extraordinaire. My Jezebel friends keep me in touch with my feminist side. My blogger friends, Lisa, Alana, Sara--their comments always make me smile.

My Chorale family--Gigi, Dianne, Robin and Randy (new friends!), and so many others. These people are a joy to know, a joy to sing with.

I have fellow crazy cat ladies in Marian and Diane, and the other wonderful volunteers I interact with through AFC. They understand my love of these wonderful animals, and they work so very hard to find homes for cats and kittens. I'm honored to be part of the good fight.

I lost a friend this year. I was, essentially, friend-dumped. The details are ridiculous. But now that I'm looking back on it, I'm thankful that I'm no longer tip-toeing around her, and I'm thankful that I don't have to pretend that I think her husband is a nice guy. I'm thankful that I had her in my life when things were good (back in 2004-2007). And I'm thankful that getting dumped by her didn't damage my self-esteem, as it might have a few years ago.

3. Speaking of self-esteem...

I haz it!

This year, more than any year in the past 15 years, I can honestly look in the mirror, or see a picture of myself, and think, "Hey, you're cute!"

I've come such a long way in my self-acceptance this year. I still have moments of uncertainty, but honestly, I haven't felt this good in a long time. I'm strong. I'm healthy. I'm confident. I'm still getting the third degree from Gershom every week or two, and while I grumble and groan at him about it, I'm actually glad he cares enough to threaten to weigh me in January.

Gah.

4. My health

Aside from one terrifying ER trip and a week spent recovering from sudden-onset bronchitis, I'm enjoying the best health of my life. I attribute it to my working out and healthier eating habits.

5. Time

Let's face it--I don't love being unemployed. But I'm a silver-lining kind of gal and one of the best parts of being jobless this school year has been having some time to reevaluate. I'm searching for work, but I'm also using the time to explore other possibilities.

I have time to cook from scratch, and time to make pretty things. I have time to cuddle with my cats, and time to get a good, hard workout in. I have time to volunteer with AFC and Chorale. I have time to sell things on eBay and Etsy. I have time to keep my apartment clean, time to spend with my parents, time to bake for a bake sale. Time to send snail mail. Time to learn Keane songs on the piano--hell, time to play my piano.

I'm enjoying every minute of it. Next fall, I will be working again.

.......................................

So today, I raise my glass and propose a toast. To family and friends who warm the heart and soothe the soul. To health, to happiness, to making time.

What are YOU thankful for today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm honored to be mentioned and I mirror you in giving thanks to an amazingly kind Keane fandom that welcomed me with open arms. My only regret? That I did not participate in the fandom earlier. Long time fan / newbie to the Keanie fan world.

I wholeheartedly thank you for reaching out to me immediately when I started chatting on the forum. It means so much to me!

It's been a blast and I cannot wait for more adventures in 2011!

Love, Lindsay

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Awwwww, honey, I'm reading back to catch up and now I'm in puddles. What an awesome post! You continue to inspire me, woman!

So thankful to have met you, too!
Hugs from B'more,
L