Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's That Time of Year...

I've commenced my yearly re-reading of the Harry Potter series. This is, of course, partly because I simply love the books, and also partly to prep for the release of the first half of the seventh book's screen adaptation. I will also be watching all six DVDs before it opens.

My love for this series has no end. Every time I re-read them, they surprise me again and again. It's easy to forget Rowling's superb attention to detail and all of the little silly things that seem insignificant at the time you read about them but come back several books later to be really important. The characters are marvelous--three-dimensional, human--and Rowling catches the angst of the teen years superbly. I could go on for hours.

This time, I'm reading my British set of the books. Yes, yes...I own two sets of the Harry Potter series. I have the US editions in hardback, with their marvelous illustrations, and I have the British editions with their British spellings and different cover art. Words like "bogey" in the British books were replaced with "booger" for American audiences, but otherwise, the stories are the same.

It's also that time for Grey's Anatomy. Season 7 starts in three weeks and I've got six previous seasons to watch. I do this every year in anticipation (I started watching on-and-off in season three and have watched religiously since season 4) and I absolutely love them. Some seasons are better than others, and really, the show was in its top form in seasons 1 and 2, but I still love the drama and the romance and the absurdity.

Something about reading Harry Potter and watching Grey's screams "Fall!!" to me. I'm ready for much cooler weather and plenty of hot tea, curled up on my couch with my furbabies in warm pajamas. Bring it on!

No comments: