Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Year So Far

Oh, and Happy Blog-o-versary!! Yesterday marked SIX years of The Wild and Absolutely True Adventures of Meg. Of course, I've been having Wild and Absolutely True Adventures for almost 32 years, it's just the last six years I've been recording them here.

I could do a recap of those six years, but I've done that before, and today, I want to talk solely about 2010 so far.

By all definitions of the phrase, "that sucks," I think a lot of people would classify 2010 as a bad year for me. Let's face it: I lost my job, dealt with a very stressful work situation, and even had to talk to a union attorney at one point because my rights were stomped on by one boss. It was highly stressful, and had this happened three, two, or hell, even one year(s) ago, I would have been one giant ball of mess.

Here's the thing, though--so far, I'm looking back at what has passed of 2010 and thinking, "What a great year!"

It's not the drugs talking--in fact, I am free of all medications, thankyouverymuch. No more anti-depressants, and while I still have a few anti-anxiety pills lying around just in case, I haven't used on in months. Instead, I run. I don't stress eat anymore. I go to the gym. My mind is clearer than it has ever been.

2010 has been an amazing year. Sure, I lost my job, but I also lost 50-something pounds. I dealt with a bad boss, but I also had an awesome trainer pushing me along (sometimes literally; you should have seen us with his hand on my back, pushing me through difficult runs). My future is definitely uncertain at the moment, but I'm just not letting it get to me. Much. Sure, I have moments of vague panic and "Oh, God, what now?" but for the most part, I am able to shut my racing mind up by going to the gym or going for a run.

In what has passed of this year so far, I have become a whole new Meg--leaner, smaller, more confident, healthier. My whole wardrobe has changed. I've become a runner. I sang a solo with Chorale. I fostered four adorable kittens. I've had plenty of beach time.

I met half of Keane. I'm still floating, a week later. After all the craziness and job drama, seeing Keane was a needed respite. Meeting Tim and Richard was icing on the cake.

So yeah, I lost my job. I have no idea what's coming. But it's been a GREAT year, and as hard as it is to sit here in Limbo, I'm also kind of excited to see what comes next.