Wednesday, July 07, 2010

G. the Meanie -- Anonymous No More

I am pleased to formally introduce my trainer. He's been called many things in the last seven months--G. the Meanie, most often, but he's also been referred to as "that little shit" and "my trainer," muttered through clenched teeth. I've called him a bastard, and told him I hate him (which isn't true, and he knew it then and knows it now).

I've mockingly called him Mr. Fitness Is My Life, and I once told him, "I don't know, I thought you were just...a meathead." I heard about that one for a good week or two afterwards.

But behind the jokes, the exasperation, and the rude comments I've made, there's a real person. His name is Gershom. He can be a real pain in the ass, but he is also the most encouraging person I've ever met. Quitting was never an option with Gershom pushing me along.

So here I am. Today was my last session with Gershom and surprisingly, I'm not freaking out and thinking, "I can't do it on my own yet!!" I'm there--I'm finally at that place where healthy eating and daily workouts are just part of my life. I didn't work out yesterday and it made me lethargic and sluggish--almost depressed. My life flows more smoothly if I get some activity in--even just swimming some slow laps in the pool, or walking around all day on one of my many day trips.

After today's workout, I told Gershom I wanted a picture for my blog. He handed my camera to another gym employee. I asked, "You don't mind being on my blog?"

After all the blogs I've written that make him sound like some kind of jerk, I was surprised that he has no problem with it. So, here he is:


I'm just pleased to point out that in this picture, I weigh less than him. Barely, but I do weigh less.

He took a picture of me next to my success story on the testimonial board, and I got a close-up shot of it (click to make it larger if you want to read it):


It has been a long journey--another Wild and Absolutely True Adventure in my life. It started in February 2009, with B. the Sadist. But the success really started happening in December, and I have so much to thank Gershom for.

The journey isn't over. I haven't "arrived." I will always be on this path, working on staying fit, eating well, maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I might get to 140 pounds and have my body tell me, "This is it. We're good." I might work all the way down to 120 and have my body decide that that's where it wants to be. I'm pretty sure I'll level off somewhere in the 130s, healthy, happy, and feeling good. The number on the scale no longer matters--only my mental and physical health.

Now, if you need me, I'll be running. : )

3 comments:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Woohoo!!! Pleasure to meet you, Gershom!! You inspired Meg and Meg has inspired me. :-)

Britni TheVadgeWig said...

You look freaking AWESOME, Meg!

Aunty Pol said...

Congratulations to the pretty girl !

What a wonderful post.

Waves from Houston