Thursday, June 24, 2010

This Stuff Doesn't Happen to Me...

I decided to challenge myself today when I went for my run. Last week, I ran a mile at about 10:20 or 10:30, and I was quite pleased with myself. So this morning, I made a new goal: 10:00 or less.

I knew I could do it, if I really pushed myself. And push myself I did. Rivers of sweat were streaming down my face, my neck, my back. My running clothes were soaked. It took a few minutes of walking back through my apartment complex to calm my breathing down when I was finished. But I did the whole block in 11:23. According to The Daily Mile, that's a mile in 9:51.

Obviously, I'm quite pleased with myself.

But its what happened after that mile that boggled, excited and flabbergasted me.

As I reached my building, a cute guy walking just ahead of me turned around, smiled, and said, "Hi, neighbor." Feeling cute, I smiled and said, "Hi, neighbor!" right back. Introductions were made. I reached my apartment and let myself in, smiling and saying, "See ya."

A few minutes later, there was a knock at my door. Sure enough, there was Neighbor Boy, smiling.

"I was thinking, maybe we could work out together sometime."

I agreed with him, and he gave me his phone number. Eeek!

This stuff doesn't happen to me! I used to just fade into the wallpaper, or not elicit any notice from the men of the world. Suddenly, here I am, with a cute guy noticing me, giving me his phone number, wanting to get to know me...when all he's seen of me is sweaty running clothes, a ponytail plastered to my neck. Red-faced and breathing like a steam engine as I try to slow my heartbeat after an intense run.

This stuff doesn't happen to me...and yet, it just did.

I practically skipped to the gym, and I didn't feel at all self-concious in my swimsuit as I did laps in the pool. I bragged about my sub-10-minute mile to B. the Gym Manager, who grinned, said, "Shut. Up." and high-fived me. Later, I caught up with G. the Meanie, who high-fived me, introduced me to his client, and proudly said, "Megan's lost over 60 pounds." (Oh, yeah: I weighed in yesterday at 159.9. I don't care that the lunch I ate later tipped me back into the 160s--as far as I'm concerned, I'm officially in the 150s now.)

Suddenly, I have a strong urge to buy a lotto ticket.

3 comments:

Sa said...

Well, this kind of thing obviously DOES happen to you :)
Seriously that's terrific! I love that feeling when everything seems to be going my way...enjoy!

Britni TheVadgeWig said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you, and so happy that you're feeling good about yourself! You rock.

Miz Minka said...

Well, duh, yes, it just did! Happy for you!! :) You go, girl!