Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Somewhat Lazy and Absolutely True Summer Adventures of Meg

1. Unemployment

Well, I filed for unemployment yesterday. I basically have no idea what I'm doing, and hope that soon I'll get a hold of a human being at the Employment Development Department (EDD) and get some information beyond the FAQ section on their web site.

For example, what if I get a part-time retail job. Can I still collect unemployement so that I can keep the rent and bills paid? Because part-time retail ain't gonna do it, and my next option after 1-800-MOM-NDAD is to find a Sugar Daddy.

Which isn't my style.

It doesn't help my peace of mind that the Republicans and Democrats are bitching and kvetching with each other about benefit extensions for the unemployed.

2. OKCupid...do your thing!

I'm finally there. Where's there? I'm finally at that place where I'm actually ready to date. You know, that place called Self-Confidence. It feels pretty good.

So Neighbor Boy turned out to be a dud (as some do) and Match.com has been dry as Yosemite Falls in August. There's been one very nice-seeming gentleman that I've been corresponding with, but I'm quickly realizing that there's not much else on Match to hold my interest for $34.99 per month. So I've ended my supscription and joined the all-free OKCupid. And whaddaya know, it's way better.

So far, I've had a flirtatious conversation with a very attractive man who lives in my former hometown, Folsom. There's been some workout talks with another gymbo, but they seem to have died off. There was an invitation to have drinks with a very handsome man when he's out my way on business this week (he lives in San Jose). But he hasn't replied to my last message and I'm thinking that might not pan out. An honest-to-God bullrider contacted me, and I'm flirting a little, even though I am pretty morally opposed to rodeos.

It's been a lot of fun, and I've had a lot of interest from guys--way more than I used to get.

3. "Don't lose ALL the padding..."

I've had two guys say this to me--both on Sunday. First was Neighbor Boy, and the second was a random dude on OKCupid. I had to laugh. The "padding" isn't going anywhere, no matter how much weight I lose. It's part of me, and I'll always be curvy.

I just find it funny that these dudes seem almost afraid that my getting to goal wait will make me some kind of skin-and-bones girl. It's okay, boys, not gonna happen.

4. PB&J

There came a point in my school years (probably around 5th or 6th grade, I don't remember exactly when) that I got completely sick and tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. To the point where it just sounded disgusting. So for years, I went without, thinking, "What a boring sandwich! I'd rather have turkey on sourdough any day."

But a couple of weeks ago, G. the Meanie mentioned one of his favorite night-time snacks: whole wheat bread, blackberry jam, peanut butter, and sliced strawberries and banana.

Since that discussion, I have found an organic blackberry-vanilla jam (no high-fructose corn syrup, and yes, every bit as delicious as it sounds!) to go with my organic peanut butter. Sometimes I'm too lazy to slice up the fruit, and just have the PB&J. Either way, it's like dessert. So delicious. So gratifying. Have a salad or a bowl of soup with it and I'm a happy girl. It's way too hot to cook beyond heating something up on the stove and slicing a few veggies for a salad, anyway.

5. Three weeks 'til Keane!!

Nothing more really needs to be said. They'll be here three weeks from today, and I will be there, front and center, lovig every second.

6. Scrapbooks and Movies

When I'm not filling out online apps for jobs and unemployment benefits, I've been doing some scrapbooking and watching movies--at the same time, yes. I set up a table in front of the TV and I've happily scrapped my March trip to Monterey with Meghan and a trip to the Jelly Belly Factory made with Summer several months ago. Now I'm moving on to a day Summer and I had in Sonoma. Ahh, wine country. I think I'll use a lot of purples and greens in that one. : )

And that's about it. The last several days have been pretty lazy, overall, with moments of getitng stuff done and some excitement on the dating front.

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

So pooped, but I wiped you off of reader so I've got to comment lest I forget to come back tomorrow!

Fingers crossed for an intelligent contact at EDD. Agreed, $35/mo is way too much for something that's not producing. Enjoy the flirting! Ha! I could be 110 lbs and still have curves. Unfortunately none of them are on top. PB&J sounds really good. Unfortunately I need P and J. B too! :-) for Keane... it's the small things that make us happy. And, finally, that's the same way I scrap! :-)