Thursday, June 17, 2010

California Dreamin': Part 3.1 San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge)

After starting this new California Dreamin' series with Yosemite, I started sorting through my photo collection to get ideas for more posts. As I looked through folder after folder of San Francisco pictures, I started to realize that making one post about The City By the Bay would be impossible. But how to break it down?

As I organized my pictures, themes started emerging. So tonight, I start with a folder I made with pictures featuring the Golden Gate Bridge.

When I think of San Francisco, this bridge is what leaps to mind first. Of all of the city's famous landmarks--cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, etc.--the Golden Gate Bridge is my favorite. There's no particular reason for this; I just love driving across it and getting various views of it from throughout the city and beyond.

I'll spare you the down-and-dirty architectural details, except to say that it is a suspension bridge, is 1.7 miles in length, and, in 1999 it was ranked 5th on the List of America's Favorite Architecture by American Institute of Architects. And while most people looking at it would say, "It's red," if asked what color it is, the official name of the paint is International orange.

The bridge has six lanes of traffic, with moveable dividers so that traffic patterns can move according to demand. For example, in the morning, when the bridge is mostly used by commuters travelling southbound from Marin County, four lanes will be devoted to southbound traffic and two to northbound. The opposite holds for the evening rush hour. During the rest of the day, it is split three-three.

If you're in to architecture, by all means, read more at the links I've provided...I'm more interested in the romance of the bridge, and in showing off just how well it photographs. Below, some pictures I've taken over the last few years of the bridge from near, far, and right underneath. I've driven across it, viewed it from both ends, and been on a boat trip under it. It's a gorgeous bridge, and truly one of San Francisco's best icons.

Taken from the north end of the bridge, looking south. The city of San Francisco is off to the left of this picture...still shrouded in remnants of its famous fog.
Taken from a boat--this is the south half of the bridge. To the west, the sun is lowering on the Pacific.
The north end of the bridge and the Marin Headlands.
At this point, we had passed under the bridge, out of the bay and into the Pacific.
The closest you can get to being under the bridge but still on land...looking north towards Marin, again.
I love the clouds in this picture
A gorgeous view of the bridge from the Presidio.
San Francisco's famous fog. I'm very proud of this picture.
From Baker Beach on a foggy morning.
From the extreme western edge of the Presidio.
A pretty view from the Presidio.

No comments: