Saturday, April 03, 2010

Sunday Review: Alice In Wonderland

Yesterday, I finally got around to seeing Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland. I went into it with absolutely no huge expectations, as I'd heard wonderful reviews and disappointed reviews ranging from complaints that it's more of a mesh of "Alice In Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" to "Oh, good grief, can Tim Burton do anything NEW?"

I happen to love Burton's formula (Big Fish, anyone?) and was actually quite pleased by the movie. Johnny Depp was, as ever, goofy, over the top and amazing. Even when his Mad Hatter is subdued, he still emanates that lovely, goofy charm that Depp is known for.

However, I am absolutely, rapturously in love with Alice in this film.



Alice is no simpering little flower. While delicate and beautiful in looks, she posesses a vivid imagination, quick mind, and an unwillingness to conform that many heroines seem to lack these days.

Througout the movie, her character grows and she becomes a fierce, courageous woman who stands up to the vicious Red Queen (played, brilliantly, by the always marvelously wicked Helena Bonham Carter) and slays the brutal Jabberwocky.

I was struck, again and again while watching, how few strong female leads Hollywood gives us these days. It's tragic that everywhere, young women are wishing to lead the semi-charmed life of vampiric love of Bella Swan (and I admit to liking the Twilight books/movies) when there are characters like Tim Burton's interpretation of Alice who so seriously rock. I don't want to spoil the ending, but let me just say that it's a departure from the usual cinematic formula of "girl finds True Love and now her life really begins." No, my friends, there are adventures to be had, and Alice is going to take them. As someone who has pushed her way through life thus far without a Great Romance, making my own adventures (wild and absolutely true!), I so love seeing that same spirit portrayed on screen.

As mentioned, Helena Bonham-Carter is brilliant--when is she not? Her Red Queen is all screechy "Off with her head!" and violent glee. Depp is clearly having fun as the Mad Hatter, but I have to say that I love him more as Jack Sparrow. This particular Hatter is more vulnerable man-child than other versions of the movie have portrayed him, and Depp pulls it off, of course. But he's not the focus of the film--Awesome Alice is, and Depp is willing to take his back seat and let newcomer Mia Wasikowska shine. And oh, does she shine.

Anne Hathaway is positively brilliant as the White Queen--she has this almost-silly way of flapping her hands about that actually works for the character.

Burton is at his best here--the sets are as colorful and ludicrous as anything else he's put out. My only real complaint is the funny little dance that Depp's Mad Hatter performs after the defeat of the Red Queen. While funny, as its meant to be, it felt as though Burton was thinking he must give Depp at least one comedic gold moment in the movie to make up for the Hatter's otherwise subdued personality in much of the film. It felt a teensy bit out of place to me.

Overall, I enjoyed this version of this classic tale (or two tales, rather) and can say, in all honesty, that I'm glad I shelled out the money to see it at the cinema, rather than waiting for DVD. This is high praise, indeed, because these days, I really only make myself go to the movies to see Harry Potter films.

Following are some images I've found, courtesy of Google.








No comments: