Monday, March 22, 2010

Third Grade

It's my lunch break. A few minutes ago, I was waiting outside the music room, where my colleague was finishing a 3rd grade music lesson. I didn't want to disrupt, so I waited in the hallway with the next group of 3rd graders. The boy in the front of the line started talking to me.
 
"I like Mr. H. but I don't really like the music he plays for us. I want to hear some Slipknot."
 
At this I just smiled. "Come on, you don't like the stuff Mr. H. does with you?"
 
"It's all little kid music!"
 
I raised one eyebrow. "You are a little kid."
 
At this, the boy puffed his chest out, took a deep breath and said, "I'm not a little kid, I'm nine!"
 
It was so hard to keep from laughing as I raised my eyebrows even higher and said, "Uh-huh. And I'm a lot older than nine."
 
"Okay, so to YOU I'm a little kid, but to ME, I'm...I'm a big kid." He was adorable--mischievious and obviously too smart for his own good.
 
Why do I have a sudden urge to teach third grade?

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Ummmm... I don't know, could you have been anything like him? ;-)

PS - OK by this reader to post Keane anytime!