Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Gymbo

Gymbo (noun): A person who spends many hours at the local gym, working out and ogling the club's manager's adorable booty...as well as other muscle-bound men

Example: Look at her drool at the club manager doing a one-armed pull-up. What a gymbo!


Okay, okay, I'm not a bimbo. But I was looking for a good word to describe how much working out has taken over my life and "gymbo" popped into my head. I like making up new words (a scrazy little thing I do) and gymbo is, for now, going to stick.

Anyway, I was standing in my closet--my big, gorgeous, walk-in closet that makes me happy--last night and thinking it's pretty funny that I have three pairs of tennis shoes, all with different purposes.



First, we have my Crap Shoes.



This is a pair of New Balance trainers I bought at some department store well over a year ago. They were okay at the time, but now, I wouldn't work out in them if you paid me. They wouldn't offer good enough support at this point, so they have become my walk-over-to-get-the-mail shoes, and good shoes for going to A Chance For Bliss (in other words, I don't care if they get covered in horse poop).

Last summer, I bought a new pair of workout shoes. I found them at J.C. Penney's on clearance. Twenty-five bucks. Score!



I still use them for strength training sometimes, but I don't use them for cardio anymore. Ever. Because for cardio, I've got...

The Super-Awesome, Trainer-Approved Cardio Shoe.



I bought these in January at Fleet Feet. When I showed them to G., he nearly swooned in delight. Apparently, these are top-of-the-line running shoes. There is so much technology in these shoes, I can't even tell you. I got hopelessly lost as G. rapturously explained how the N design on the side is designed to do something fabulous to my foot.

All I know is, I'm hooked.

Between the shoes and the special inserts, I spent, well, a lot more than $25. This was my big splurge in the month of January, and a new pair will be my big splurge in June. These shoes have helped make running so much easier--I once tried running in my clearance score shoes, and it just wasn't happening. It's very true that the proper shoe makes all the difference in running.

Oh dear, I really am a gymbo.

No comments: