Tuesday, November 10, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SESAME STREET!


Dad was stationed in Turkey for a while when I was 3-4 years old. It was an unaccompanied assignment, so Mom, Aaron and I stayed in California with Mom's parents, eventually settling down in our own home in Rancho Cordova.

I have vague-but-real memories of the time: riding in the ambulance after breaking my leg, Aaron standing by the fireplace crying because he missed Dad.

The best memory is of seeing Dad when he came home. I don't remember if it was for a visit or for good, but I remember him kneeling down in front of tiny me, and placing a red Bert and Ernie purse around my neck.

I wish I still had that purse.

Anyway, Sesame Street was a big part of my childhood, and today it celebrates 40 years. It's rare for a children's show to touch so many generations of children. I hope Sesame Street will keep going. It is as relevent today as it was at its start.

To celebrate, Google has been using different "doodles" every day for the last week or so. They have made me smile, so I'm posting them here.





No comments: