Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cleaned, Shined and Polished

Both the apartment and me!

I have spent my Saturday cleaning this little place in a big way. I'm embarassed by how long it's been since I dusted or mopped. I vacuum regularly, and keep the place straightened, and, of course, I keep the sinks, counters, toilet and shower clean. But it's been ages since I got into the nooks and crannies, dusting and scrubbing. So today, I went for it.

The result is a clean, pretty apartment. Millie and Harley are eating and drinking out of sparkling-clean dishes (it's a good thing to run them through the dishwasher every couple of weeks, as cats can get acne). I washed all of my floor rugs, and my comforter. I finally got around to hanging up my university diploma, my world music poster (it's a map of the world and a playable piece of music, all in one), and a signed "For Better or For Worse" cartoon that Dad bought me a few years back. I organized my pajama drawer and weeded out some clothes and stuff for Goodwill.

I had a stressful week. I'm back on the anti-anxiety meds. I was so proud to be off them, but some stress has crept back into my life, and I've been more lethargic, etc. The good news is, I haven't been overeating. The bad news is, I have had the opposite--lack of appetite due to an upset stomach caused by stress.

Depression's a bitch, people.

But I'm nowhere NEAR as bad as I was a few years ago, and for that, I'm profoundly grateful. I've learned some excellent coping skills, and I have a wonderful support system in my family and friends.

My grand plans for this fine Saturday night are to enjoy my clean apartment by flopping on my de-cat-haired couch with some leftover pizza, a large stack of DVDs, and my Sudoku book. The cats will snooze nearby. When bedtime comes, I'll read a little bit of my new book and then face a Sunday of errand-running (I cleaned the fridge of all the bad stuff and now need to do a major grocery run) and planning.

One week 'til Fall Break!

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

(((Meg)))
I understand completely. And it is a bitch. But we persevere! (And medicate when necessary!)
Lisa