Monday, July 20, 2009

Farm Time

I really need to make more of an effort to visit A Chance For Bliss everytime I'm up this way. Seriously, what a happy place.

Mom and I went over this morning to hang with the horses and give them some love. We were in for a couple of surprises.

First, a new addition to the feline duo of ACFB, Beau and Seinfeld...Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce Casper:



I said, "Mom! There's a KITTEN!!!" As soon as we got out of the car, I ran over and introduced myself. He's purrfectly friendly and allowed me to scoop him up. He was purring so hard his whole little body vibrated.

God, I love kittens.

I asked Woody, "Who is this?!"

"Casper," he replied. "There's another couple of newbies, too. Go inside and see."

So Mom and I went in and chatted with Dee, who showed us their two newest dogs, Angel (a severe neglect case) and Joy.

Angel was the victim of abandonment. She was found penned up in the backyard of a vacant house, digging for worms and drinking her own urine to survive. She's a Boston Terrier, like most of the ACFB dogs. She's been there one week and is already showing huge improvement. These dogs know when they find something good.

When Dee went to Wonder Dog Rescue to pick her up, the lady there offered her a gift--Joy. She could have gotten adoption fees for Joy, but instead gave her to Dee and Woody as a gift for all they've done, and because they lost one of their beloved dogs, Hope, a few months ago and still feel the loss.

Joy, I might add, is four months old. She's also a "red" Boston Terrier, which is more rare. Why was a purebread BT left at Wonder Dog? Well, she's deaf in one ear (her siblings were completely deaf) and the breeder wouldn't make any money from her.

Gah.

Anyway, she's ADORABLE:




After fawning all over Casper and Joy, Mom and I set out to the pasture to give the horses, goats and other farm critters some treats, and to brush the horses. They sweat a lot in this heat and it dries on them, leaving salt deposits.





Next we walked over to the back pasture, stopping to coo and cuddle all over Casper. He followed us all the way out to the back pasture, scampering along and trying to climb the trees. We told him to stay...but you know how cats are.

While out there, I took a little self-portrait, and unknowingly caught him mid-lick.



The back pasture crew:



(Yes, Ferdi--the big black/white guy on the left--is a BIG bull. He's a gentle giant, but I still make a wide berth around his horns.)

On our way out, we stopped to chat with Woody (I threatened to stow Casper away and take him home) and laughed at Harmony the Water Dog playing with the hose. Apparently nothing makes her happier than telling the hose who's boss.



All in all, it was a lovely visit to that always-lovely farm. We left covered in horse slobber, dust, hair from various farm creatures, and sweat--but also feeling very happy.

Coming soon: a short video of the sights and sounds of the farm.

No comments: