Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Check's in the Mail

I checked my mail yesterday, and found, to my surprise, an envelope from the Washington Educator's Association.

First, I only taught in Washington for one year, before returning to California.

Second, I haven't exactly kept in touch--so how they had my current address is anyone's guess. Social Security Number? Who knows?

Anyway, I was only mildly interested until I opened the envelope and found a check inside. MONEY! Oh, hell yeah! Turns out, there was a lawsuit and some kind of settlement. I won't go into too much detail, but the letter said:

"The amount of the enclosed rebate check is specific to you based on the number of years you worked and the positions you held while in a bargaining unit position between 2003 and 2007."

I taught one period of 6th grade choir every day, from September 2005 to June 2006. My share of the pie?

A whopping $4.40.

As my friend Janice said on Facebook, "That's a latte!"

No comments: