Monday, January 26, 2009

In the "Good News" Category

As I was leaving tonight for Chorale rehearsal, I noticed a truck was parked behind mine. Grr! I did an inward eyeroll as my upstairs neighbor came down the stairs bearing a small piece of furniture.

"Oh, I'll move for you!"

"Thanks!" I replied. "...Are you moving?"

"Yeah."

I gave some polite kind of "ahhh" reply and went on my way, but inside, I was really thinking, "Hurrah!! The stampeding wildebeest herd is leaving!!!"

I swear, I don't know what they get up to up there, but sometimes it sounds like they're having some sort of WWE Smackdown in the master bedroom--often at 11:00 at night, or 5:30 in the morning. I know the floors aren't that thin. Normal walking around doesn't bother me, but the cacophony I hear from upstairs is insane!

So, while they seem like perfectly nice people, I won't be too sad to see them go. Here's hoping I get some nice, quiet, 100-pound person who likes to tiptoe moving in. Though, with my luck, I'll get an adorable set of three-year-old triplet boys who like to jump off of furniture and do ceremonial hakas at four in the morning.

I'm so over this apartment thing. If things go as I hope they will (namely, my job isn't lost to budget woes and I'm able to stay in Stockton), I'd like to look into getting a teacher-friendly home loan. There are deals available for teachers who work in low-performing districts, and I believe mine qualifies. At the very least, I wouldn't mind renting a small house or duplex. It's something to think about, and there'd be less likelihood of some asshole booming his stereo at 2:00 in the morning (happened this morning, as a matter of fact), or people thinking its perfectly okay to shine their headlights in my bedroom window while I'm most likely sleeping.

Food for thought...in the mean time, I'm just happy that the friendly neighborhood buffalo herd is moving on to greener pastures.

No comments: